Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DVDR 985 not playing the NTSC recorded DVDs

Tom Man

Dec 31, 2019
Hi guys, sorry to post this question here, but I've been trying to post it in a DVD forum, and can not find it. Please help me either with the question or how to post in the DVD section.
My Philips DVDR 985, reads my home made DVDs that are recorded in PAL format fine and plays them on TV, it also plays my audio music CDs fine, but does not play my other DVDs ( NTSC format) whether recorded by this same machine or DVD movies and it says " No Disc C003 ". please help me figure out what the issue might be. Thanks.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi Tom, when you have a DVD that DOES play, do you get the menu that says ‘Pal’?

upload_2020-1-3_5-48-8.jpeg

I just read a little on your player and it requires a true NTSC signal. What this means isn’t exactly very clear.

Martin

Tom Man

Dec 31, 2019
Hi Martin, Thanks so much for your help. No, it does not say PAL. I copied a few VHS tapes (NTSC format) using this same DVD recorder to DVDs, and they used to play on this machine when I recorded them, but now it won't. The other DVDs with PAL format were sent to me from overseas and they do play.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Oh ok. If it played previously then a problem has arisen.
The first thing I would do is clean the laser lens with a cotton bud. If this doesn’t work, there may be an adjustment on the laser mechanism itself.

Martin

Tom Man

Dec 31, 2019
Oh ok. If it played previously then a problem has arisen.
The first thing I would do is clean the laser lens with a cotton bud. If this doesn’t work, there may be an adjustment on the laser mechanism itself.

Martin
Thanks, Martin. I just assumed that because it does read the PAL DVDs, the laser should be OK, don't you think so? I am not familiar with it's mechanism inside.

Tom Man

Dec 31, 2019
Read somewhere they require dual layer dvd.

That's the problem with 20 year old technology.
Thanks for the reply. I agree. but these are the same DVDs that were made with this same machine and played it before.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
because it does read the PAL DVDs, the laser should be OK
No, not always. Especially if your unit has two lasers. The focus could need adjusting or the laser power. Different types of laser and frequency are found in some multi-format-player units. My sons DVD blu ray player wont read CD-R with audio files. It used to. He doesn’t care because he doesn’t listen to music with it....So... I don’t care either!!.
I am not suggesting that this is your fault but it is a common fault. I also don’t know whether Pal & NTSC use the same laser frequency for both formats. I’ll have to have a read up unless anybody else can clarify. Either way, lens cleaning is always the first step for me.

Martin

Tom Man

Dec 31, 2019
Thanks Martin, very eye opening info for me. Thank you again. I'll do some reading too. This is obviously not to just make the machine work, I am just a curious person seems like as you are :) Happy New Year.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I am just a curious person seems like as you are :)
Happy new year to you too.
Yes, I am curious and mischievous!!.
So far it seems NTSC wont play Pal and vice versa. So frequency is definitely a given. Also firmware plays it’s part too. But I doubt that’s your problem. See how you get on cleaning the lens/s first. I am now intrigued whether you have 1, 2 or more lasers. Keep us posted.

Martin