Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DVD player wont play

Jayfaas

Dec 4, 2015
I have a Magnavox DP170MW8B for my daughter's room and one night, I turned it on and it didnt even try to play. Pressing play on the remote and the DVD player does nothing. The eject works fine but I cant get the thing to play. I hoped it might be as easy as blowing it out so I opened the CD door and blew inside like an old nintendo cartridge but no luck. Any ideas what it might be and what I need to do to fix it? Id like to think im fairly savvy with electromechanical assembly so feel free to make suggestions if thats what it comes to. Hell the way I see it, if I cant fix it, ill just have to buy a new one so what do I have to lose? Thanks in advance.

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
Assuming the DVD player has power and the discs are spinning, I would probably use ethanol or alcohol to clean the lens/laser.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Adding to the above suggestions, once the tray is closed with a disc inserted, does the unit make any noise like something is trying to spin?

Martin

Jayfaas

Dec 4, 2015
The power is on but the CD wont spin. As soon as the door closes, it just says stop

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
Perhaps its not detecting the disc.

Again I would advise cleaning the laser/lens.

You can use ethanol or laser/lens cleaning solution.

If you don't have these you can also use distilled white vinegar, mixed in with water. 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
It's quite important when trying to diagnose a problem to answer in as much detail as you can.
Does it make any noises at all? A little whirring perhaps. Or a clunk click boom! Nah..

Insert the disc, close the tray and listen hard.....
Then repeat without the disc and listen hard.....
Is it exactly the same noise? Or silent?

Martin

Jayfaas

Dec 4, 2015
Its just silence. The little icon comes up on the screen like its going to load but then it just says stop and never spins.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
It sounds like there may be a mechanical failure. Motor, micro switch, laser stuck or something like that.
I would normally suggest taking the top off (UNPLUGGED) and manually open and close the tray looking for contacts or switches. And move the laser carefully on it's guides to see if it got stuck.
While you're there, clean the lens as already suggested above.
Also a general look around for foreign / broken objects obstructing mechanical movement.

It would also be necessary to plug the unit in (HANDS OUT) and insert a disc and close the tray. watching and listening for motor noise, disc trying to spin and repeat without a disc.

If you are mechanically minded, something obvious may be seen..
Other than that, if you are confident with a multimeter, it's time to check voltages..

Martin

Jayfaas

Dec 4, 2015
I finally got around to it and removed the cover and the hdmi board so i could get the disc assembly out. I spun the gear to move then lens back and forth along its tracks and it didnt seem to have a problem. The lens didnt appear to be dirty but I rubbed it with a soft cotton t-shirt to try and remove anything that may be there. Hooked it back up and nothing. I would like to add that when I hook everything up and thrn the dvd player on, it doesnt come up on the screen, but when i open and close the door, then the HDMI light comes on and the screen pops up that says stop. Any other suggestions?

GPG

Sep 18, 2015
Most machines look for a disc when the tray closes If you can see the lens watch what it does Usually the lens will attempt focus lock (goes up and down). The usual no of attempts is 3

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
When those "El-Chipo" devices malfunction and you have tried all the above things ,
There is another thing to check:
There are cables running from the board to the lens and motor mechanism.
Check that they are connected well.

If that doesn't help it is time to buy another one...
my advice ,go for a Pioneer unit.

Jayfaas

Dec 4, 2015
I just need a simple DVD player for my daughters room. She just watches DVDs to go to sleep. What is a cheap but reliable unit?

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
I just need a simple DVD player for my daughters room. She just watches DVDs to go to sleep. What is a cheap but reliable unit?

I use the Pioneer 2032k, doesn't have HDMI.
I have it for almost 3 years it works great(...so far).

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
How old is your daughter?
1. Tell her to go to sleep!
2. Don't play DVD until she falls a sleep!!
3. Take her to the park and tire her out!!!
4. Read a book with her!!

This isn't a parenting forum, but with a proper routine she wouldn't need a DVD playing until she falls a sleep!!
Sorry to say that, but it's true...There is no excuse!

Martin

Jayfaas

Dec 4, 2015
Anyone else NOT here to tell me how to be a parent that would like to make a suggestion on a simple, cheap, and reliable DVD player with HDMI?

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Here is one possible DVD with HDMI,
I have no personal experience with it,it gets good ratings and the firm is very reliable.

Samsung DVD-C500 at 40$