Connect with us

DVD player failed when unplugged

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Pallius, Sep 20, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Pallius

Pallius

Sep 20, 2012
    Hi electronics people,
    I mistakenly pulled the plug on the DVD player when it was on. It won't power up now. It seems completely dead. The fuse appears fine. If I jumper across the fuse terminals it makes no difference. I am not a skilled solderer nor do I know component level repair. Do you know if I can buy another power board with all of the components on it? If the unit shows no signs of power, I assume the power supply board must be failing. I don't see a source for this board and I can neither diagnose the problem nor fix it. Do I just throw the whole player away at this point?

Thank you for any reply - Pallius in Colorado

2. Timescope

Timescope

Aug 30, 2012
    It is very dangerous to "jumper across the fuse terminals". Unplug the power cable and check it for continuity with a meter.

Timescope.

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Just trivia. There was a time a while back when a lot of consumer electronics was
    using IGFETs, and the primary problem I saw with dead items, was a result of people
    yanking the power cord while the unit was still on. Destroying the IGFET.
    You'll need the make and model of your player to Google Search and see if anyone
    sells boards for your model, if you're unable to troubleshoot and effect repairs yourself.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Isn't IGFET pretty much synonymous with MOSFET (especially if you consider MOSFETs which apparently don't have a metal gate and/or use an oxide insulation)?

Incidentally, I'm aware of the use of poly-silicon gates, but not of anything other than silicon dioxide for the insulator.

5. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    The IGFET (Insulated Gate) was extremely popular in some of the super-cheap TV's for a short while. It was classified separately from MOSFET products in literature I
    saw. I didn't study the differences, all I knew were it's practical application shortcomings.
    If you had the TV turned on, and you pulled the plug, you blew the IGFET, every time.
    I haven't seen one in any of the sets I've worked on in years.
    I don't know if that's the problem here. The problem just came to mind when I read
    this post, and I mentioned it for general information.
    Some families of FETs were were flash-in-the-pan devices that manufacturers marketed,
    hoping they'd created a new market. Only to abandon them shortly thereafter.
    Not good, if you installed them in a product line, and then wound-up with no replacement
    parts, should they be needed later.
    Haven't heard anything back from Pallius. I hope he got his DVD player fixed cheaply.
    Darned things are virtually throw-away now. I can buy them new in the local big-box
    store for less than $40 U.S. new. Everybody is going to BluRay. I think DVD's are
    headed the way of Beta, and VHS.

Ask a Question