Maker Pro
Maker Pro

dunk tank

neptunedrew

May 6, 2011
I'm constructing a dunk tank and looking to use an electric trigger mechanism. I have two thoughts on how to do this. Both will work based on the weight of the person sitting on the seat while the back of the seat is held down by the trigger. See the attached image.

1st. A latch like this: http://www.southco.com/class/r4-em-electronic-rotary-latch-7619.html. It would latch to a cross bar and release.

2nd. A magnetic latch like this: http://www.sdcsecurity.com/class.aspx?id=1. The magnet would hold down the seat and release.

Any other thoughts (simpler and cheaper is better).

Attachments

• dunktank.jpg
    dunktank.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 2,308

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? There has been plenty of good usable dunk tanks in existence for years and none of those tried to combine electro-mechanical devices with lots of water.

neptunedrew

May 6, 2011
Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? There has been plenty of good usable dunk tanks in existence for years and none of those tried to combine electro-mechanical devices with lots of water.

I didn't ask if you thought it was a good idea, I asked for recommendations on how to do it.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
An electric strike is cheaper than a magnet and probably uses less power. I'm not sure about their ability to repeatedly open under load though. If your cantilever sketch is accurate, you're applying more load to the latch than the weight of the person. Resetting is as easy as closing a door. :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_strike

Last edited:

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I didn't ask if you thought it was a good idea, I asked for recommendations on how to do it.

Doesn't look like anyone else thinks it's a good idea. But I guess you already figured that out since your attitude toward the whole thing sucks. Not to mention, I gave you my recommendation, don't re-invent the wheel Good luck, you're gonna need it.

Last edited:

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
I can think of at least a few reasons why you might want to electronically control a dunk tank. It would allow the difficulty level to be adjusted by changing the size of the target or it's sensitivity. It could be for a prank where little kids are successful while professional baseball pitchers fail. It could be an adaptive application for physically challenged people. I'm sure there are lots of other possibilities.

While most people who post questions like Neptune's on the forum openly describe the context of their project, those who don't often do so because they're building a product to sell and don't want to share in the profits or credit.

Last edited:

neptunedrew

May 6, 2011
Doesn't look like anyone else thinks it's a good idea. But I guess you already figured that out since your attitude toward the whole thing sucks. Not to mention, I gave you my recommendation, don't re-invent the wheel Good luck, you're gonna need it.

I have my reasons for wanting to make an electro-mechanical trigger. I'm not interested in announcing my exact reasons for it right now.

You gave a recommendation without knowing the full circumstances. As a professional engineer, if I did that, I could lose my license.

In the future, please do not respond to any of my posts unless you have something productive.

neptunedrew

May 6, 2011
An electric strike is cheaper than a magnet and probably uses less power. I'm not sure about their ability to repeatedly open under load though. If your cantilever sketch is accurate, you're applying more load to the latch than the weight of the person. Resetting is as easy as closing a door. :p

Thanks KJ. I later found out that the latch I specified had a working load of 350 lbs. I will have to move the latch location back (away from the fulcrum) to reduce the load. I don't plan on having a 350lb person on it but...

foTONICS

Sep 30, 2011
I think i would stay away from option #1, those latches look small and show knows how much weight will be pulling on them, plus the repeatable working of the mechanisms will put wear and tear on it. I would lean towards the magnet, although it would use more power it has less moving parts. so you have to ask yourself if you want a more efficient or more reliable seat

neptunedrew

May 6, 2011
Update to this. Over the past year I was working on something called LiveDunkTank.com. It's a website where a user can throw a virtual ball at a virtual target and dunk a live performer into a dunktank. What I've found is that the magnet works far better then the latch and was actually cheaper. Thanks to all of you that gave good advice.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Thanks for the update. Where's the Youtube highlights video showing the device in action? ;)

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Kind of like re-inventing the wheel right?

It's more like adding bearings to the wheel. I hope you plan to construct a green screen and chroma key in some interesting background scenes and/or add some lighting and music.

neptunedrew

May 6, 2011
It's more like adding bearings to the wheel. I hope you plan to construct a green screen and chroma key in some interesting background scenes and/or add some lighting and music.

Thanks. As you can imagine, this has been a monumental task making this happen but it's getting great feedback. Still tons of work to do but it's coming along.