Connect with us

Dubbing Buss

Discussion in 'Electronic Components' started by Mack A. Damia, Oct 9, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Hi, I have just dropped in to see if I can find out more about the
    problem I am trying to solve.

    I am putting together a vintage stereo system:

    Pioneer SX990 amp/receiver
    TEAC A-1500 Reel-to-Reel tape deck
    Sony dual cassette deck

    TEAC CD player (not too vintage - works in AUX)

    Here's the problem:

    I want to connect both the reel-to-reel tape deck and the cassette
    tape deck at the same time. I have purchased a Realistic Tape Control
    Center with room for three decks.

    I'm not too aware of the lingo. I think I know what dubbing means
    (transferring from one to another). Not certain what a buss is.

    I have accessed an instruction booklet. This is what it says (in

    SWITCH FUNCTIONS (Notice front panel)

    The top road of switches determines the Input connection to the three

    - When Up, the Deck(s) is connected to the receiver/amplifier.
    - In the center position, the Deck(s) is not connected (off).
    - In the Down position, the Deck(s) is connected to a Dubbing Buss.

    The lower row of switches determines the Output connection of the
    three decks:

    - When UP, the Deck(s) is connected to the Dubbing Buss.
    - In the center position, the Deck(s0 is not connected (off).
    - In the Down position, the Deck(s) is connected to the Output.

    The switch at the right has two positions and determines the signal
    being passed onto the receiver/amplifier for Monitor sound.

    - In the Up position, the receiver/amplifier will monitor output from
    the Dubbing Buss.
    - In the Down position, the receiver/amplifier will monitor output
    from Decks 1, 2 and/or 3.

    Could somebody please explain what a dubbing buss is and also
    translate these instructions so that they make sense to a neophyte?

    Thanks very much!

  2. Thanks! That's wonderful and easy to follow. I'll copy this and
    refer to it when I hook up the Tape Control Center. Yes, I understand
    it now.
  3. The switches on that thing are hillarious.
  4. They do seem a bit over-the-top, but I've seen similar "long brushed
    aluminum" switches used on a lot of 1970's and 1980's audio gear, I

    I've wondered what that finish was called in those goofy switches. It
    seems everything in that era had them.
  5. Any idea how they made those pretty aluminum knobs of the same era with
    the perfect grooved texture on the face? It's dozens of perfect concentric
    grooves, some even reflect light in rainbow colors of they're not dirty
    frmo hands.

    the modern versions look like and are cheap crap to the old stuff
  6. Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar Guest

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day