Connect with us

dual time base Tek 7B53A

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by pccmd, Jul 28, 2009.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. pccmd

pccmd

Jul 28, 2009
    Just bought my first oscilloscope...used(of course) Tek 7633 with dual trace module and dual time base, the latter 7B53A. I can't figure out how to apply the time base to each of two input signals individually....that is, how to do what the module is specifically good for.

Any suggestions?

2. bfickes

bfickes

Jul 22, 2009
    Go to the Tektronix forum. Since I don't have enough posts I can't give you the link, but here is part of it, maybe you can figure the rest out. tek.com/forum You can also get manuals there for your Tek Oscilloscope if the used one you bought didn't come with one.

3. neon

neon

Oct 21, 2006
    try to pull out the time knob to set up then rotate

4. Dean Huster

Dean Huster

Oct 26, 2008
    You cannot get the 7B53A to provide a different sweep speed for each trace in the 7633. Best you're going to do is either delayed, intensified or mixed sweep, affecting both channels at the same time.

It takes a "four holer" such as a 7704A or 7904 with two timebases to slave one channel to one timebase and the other channel to the second timebase, providing an almost-but-not-quite equivalent of a true dual-beam scope -- there are still some timing problems at high speeds.

Dean

5. pccmd

pccmd

Jul 28, 2009
    Thanks

Thanks for responses. I found www for manuals and recently received OP manual.....I've mastered the DLY knob and understand...but no way to apply different time base to each of my two inputs in the amp module. Oh, well.
    CC

6. Dean Huster

Dean Huster

Oct 26, 2008
    CC, see the post just above your last. I have lots of years as a Tektronix technician at their Oklahoma City and Dallas Service Centers and hundreds of 7000-series scopes have passed through my repairing and calibrating fingers. Believe me when I tell you that there is absolutely no way that a 7B53A in a 3-compartment mainframe (7xx3) can have the delaying sweep speed slaved to the left vertical preamp and the delayed sweep slaved to the right vertical preamp or vice versa; or to Channel 1 and channel 2 respectively of a single preamp in either vertical compartment. You can only have a standard delayed/delaying/mixed sweep timebase function that affects both channels simultaneously.

Dean

Ask a Question