Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Dual LCD screen input

ex0r

Mar 16, 2014
Hello guys, I had a question that maybe enough people could help with. About two years ago, I bought a portable 7" dual-monitor portable dvd system for my suv for my kids to watch movies and stuff on. They work great, but now that we have an in-dash dvd player in our vehicle, I want to mod the screens to work with the new dvd player. (It has RCA output).

Currently, the way the system works, there is one monitor with a power source and an RCA input (coming out of the controller on the other lcd screen). The main unit has the dvd player built into it, and the incoming 12v power source from the cigarette lighter. When the main one is on, it sends the power and video signal via rca and a dc jack plug to the other monitor, and they mirror.

What I want to do, is modify the first one so it no longer uses the dvd player, and accepts input just like the other monitor does, so I can run a couple of RCA cables from the main head unit to each monitor to mirror both screens. I took both of them apart, and the LCD screens are exactly the same, the only difference is the controller cards they plug in to. So now my question is, is there currently a circuit board that is pre-assembled, or schematics to assemble, that accepts one RCA input and splits the video into multiple LCD outputs that a normal 7" LCD screen can connect to ? I looked up the LCD screens online, and they appear to be some generic chinese ones, but the connector isn't proprietary. (It uses a standard ribbon cable for the display, and a smaller ribbon cable for the backlight).

If there's not a circuit board that's already designed to do this that I can just plug in, would it be possible to take the current main circuit board that is doing RCA out to the other monitor, and reverse the direction so that it accepts RCA input instead?

If you guys need pictures of the circuit boards or anything, i'd be happy to take some and send them to you, I just wanted to see if I could reuse these screens instead of buying two new ones.

Any help would be appreciated, and I thank you.

EDIT: In case anybody was wondering, the LCD screen on both units is A070FW00 V7

(Im wondering if I can just make a new simple pcb like the one from the input-only unit for the second one, it doesn't look very complicated)

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The first thing to look for is how the existing screens are connected. If it's using the same connectors then things look very hopeful, but I guess you wouldn't be asking if that were the case.

Some photos/information indicating how the original monitors interface with the main unit would be useful. It's possible they may use something electrically similar but have some propriety connector. It's also possible they use something totally different.

ex0r

Mar 16, 2014
Do you mean where the actual lcd plugs into the pcb? They both use the same connector. Ill get pics in a bit and show you.

ex0r

Mar 16, 2014
Okay, I have some pictures for you, I hope they are helpful in showing you how they connect:

The way the unit works is like this. The Main unit has LCD screen #1 and the dvd player. The dvd player attaches to the main unit's circuit board via a ribbon cable, and the LCD screen also attaches to the same circuit board. There are RCA output connectors on the main circuit board.

The second unit has LCD screen #2 only on it. There is a secondary circuit board that has RCA input connectors on it, which connect screen #2 to screen #1 (screen #1's rca outputs connect to screen #2's rca input).

This shows the LCD connector type, it looks like the standard connector i've seen on other LCD screens. The same connector is on both screens (Both screens have the same part# and model #), and connect to the designated spots on each circuit board.

This picture shows where screen #2's lcd plugs into. The board attached to the right has the RCA input connectors on it.

This image shows what the connection for the main circuit board looks like. Just outside the bottom right border of the image is where the RCA output connectors are that connecto #1 to #2 via RCA. The red rectangle shows where Screen #1 connects to the main circuit board.