Connect with us

Dual DC power sources

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by stamour547, Dec 25, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. stamour547

stamour547

Dec 25, 2010
    Hi everyone, this my first post so if you could bare with me a little bit. I am wondering if it is possible to power LEDs from 2 power sources separately. Here is the situation... I have LED strips that are on a sled. When the sled is running i would like to power the LEDs from the sled's wiring, but when the sled is off i would like to be able to power the LEDs from a battery without powering any other electronics on the sled. The issue i have is, i would like the circuit to be able to switch over from one power source to the other automatically when the sled is turned on. If this is possible would you guys help me. I'm not an electronics tech. but i do know a resistor from a diode etc. I can solder fairly well and know how to use test equipment, but i don't know how to design the circuit. If you guys could help, it would be wonderful. Thank you in advanced for your help.

-Justin

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Welcome to the forums Justin.
    First of all I'll have to ask what "the sled" is? To me it's just a passive wooden or fibreglass contraption to be pulled by something/-one.
    Does yours have its own power source, and something like an ignition switch, or is it maybe a rooftop christmas decoration?
    If so the solution may be as simple as using two diodes, one coming from ignition/power and the other from a standby battery, meeting at the LED strip.
    Then there's the issue of recharging the standby battery. Again a diode may be sufficient.

3. stamour547

stamour547

Dec 25, 2010
    Resqueline, I'm sorry for the confusion. By sled I am referring to a snowmobile. It is common to refer to them as just "sleds". Essentially the LEDs would be similar to LEDs on a car, but I would like to be able to have them on when the sled is on, yet when the sled is shut off they would automatically switch over to the 12v battery and still run (with a switch to turn them off when done with them of course), and when the sled is started back up they would automatically start running from the sled and not the battery again. Yes recharging the battery would be needed also. I'm sorry for my ignorance on the subject, and I hope to be enlightened by this forum. Thanks again.

-Justin

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    That's ok, now I know about that term use too. :)
    I figure the power system in those can be either battery based (DC) or magneto based (AC). Do you have an electric starter or is it a pull starter?
    Does it need to run to operate the lights?

Ask a Question