Connect with us

Dryer malfunction

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by fprs, May 29, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. fprs

fprs

May 29, 2015
    20150529_113400.jpg 20150524_215712.jpg My dyer lights up when it's plugged in. However, nothing happens when i press the start button. I'm unsure to what is causing this problem, so any ideas are welcomed. I took it apart (warranty expired a long time ago), and everything seemed normal except the control board on the front of the machine. It seems to have some burns on the board, and I just want to make sure that this is the problem. I have attached a picture showing the area where i think is damaged.

Attached Files:

2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I would think your evaluation is pretty good.
    Burned areas on a board mean over-heated and likely damaged components.
    Are you intending to find an entire replacement board, or do you have skills in troubleshooting and identifying damaged components?
    It's often much cheaper to identify and replace electronic components, than to buy an entire new board.
    But you need some electronics knowledge to do that.

3. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    The discoloration may be just heat dissipated from a resistor.
    Or, is that a shadow?
    I'd be more concerned about the corrosion on some of the tracers.
    More pics would be helpful.

4. fprs

fprs

May 29, 2015
    There are no shadows in the picture taken, the dark marks are from the board itself. I will send pics as soon as I can. Can you explain what you mean by "the corrosion on some of the tracers". Thanks for the observations.

5. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    The reason I think its a shadow (from camera) is because the darker area is almost in a perfect line across. Discoloration is usually not so uniform.
    There are corroded tracers (lines) at the top of picture. You can try and clean it up with a pencil eraser and see if the copper is still intact. You can also check with a dvm for continuity between nodes.(solder points)

davenn likes this.
  6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I don't seen any burn or even any slightly overheating marks
    I also see a good shadow .... photo it from a different angle

the gunge across the top edge is just solder flux residue
    show us the other side of the board

7. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    Sure looks like corrosion to me.
    I'm guessing exposure to water caused this board to fail.
    Of course I've been wrong before.

8. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Im not saying it definitely isn't corrosion

But I see it on boards often
    if it really was moisture corrosion, then I would expect to see burnt/damaged tracks in that area
    and there is no sign of that

D

9. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    Your probably right, although water could cause a failure without that kind of damage. Right?
    I'm picturing rogue currents that might take out an IC or something, without drawing too much current.

10. fprs

fprs

May 29, 2015
    Here are some more pictures. Should I consider replacing the board?

Attached Files:

11. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    You didn't show us the other side of the board, clean up the the tracers nor report on the continuity of the traces.
    I (for one) can't tell you if the board is bad or not, because I have no idea what its function is, or the associated circuitry. Maybe, if you can show a diagram, or at least close-up pictures, someone here can give you some guidance.

12. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Yeah ... I asked him to show us the OTHER SIDE of the board some posts ago

The one thing the new pic does show is that there was as suspected a big shadow across the board
    that was causing an irrelevant side issue

Dave

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  13. fprs

fprs

May 29, 2015
    Here are some pictures of the front of the board. Sorry, I forgot to explain what the board was for. Is it the board which has the knob for the mode preset ( 20 mins, 40 mins, extra care, etc). The white part is where the knob fits and turns. I tried cleaning the corroded tracers with a an eraser, but barely any of it came off. I do not have access to a DVM, so i am unable to test the continuity of the tracers. Feel free to ask for more pictures, i apologize for the bad quality. What else should i check inside the dyer which could cause the malfunction?

Attached Files:

14. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    The selector switch under the metal shroud might have a bad contact. (?)
    Making certain any exposed wiring or parts are insulated (not going to short) and wearing insulated gloves, I would try powering up the washer and try rotating the selector knob while trying the start button. (If you feel confident) You may also try banging on the switch to see if it will start. I assume the fill portion of the washer works, and the water comes up to the proper level? If not, you might have a bad solenoid or level sensor.

15. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    Might want to check door switch too

Ask a Question