Connect with us

DRV8811 stepper cntrl/drv alternative

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by jackorocko, Dec 26, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    So I have come up against another road block. I want to be able to drive some steppers that have ~3A+ current rating per coil. I like the simplicity of the DRV8811 chip because it has everything I need in one package except for the current capability.

Things I would like to have or know how to make with alternative components.

1. Step and direction pins input to the driver
    2. At least 3A output current required
    3. Current chopper design
    4. 16 Micro-stepping
    5. In a non surface mount package

Probably a lot to ask, but I am a hobbiest (I absolutely hate surface mount crap). I would at the very least need step/dir input to the driver and 16 micro-stepping with mostly through hole components.

2. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    [​IMG]

I found this circuit on instructibles. It uses a TB6560 which from reading the datasheet is rated at a MAX 3.5A per phase. More realistically, I might get 3A per phase output with adequate heatsink.

The one thing I do not understand is whether it has microstepping. I believe it does, but they seem to use different terminology. http://www.datasheetarchive.com/
    '
    I take it the excitation mode is == to microstepping? What resolution do these modes give me?

Edit: after looking at this schematic for some time I noticed one thing I am switching right off the bat. Drop the inverters, switch the step/dir input to the other input pin on the opto and use GND instead of VCC. That way I don't have to inverter my micro-controller outputs. I would rather go with HIGH as 'do something' and LOW as 'wait for something'

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
Ask a Question