Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Drive LED array according to frequency

KUMARA SHP

Aug 1, 2014
i Need to design or buy circuit which drive 6 (or more) leds according to my stereo headset input.
is this can be convert to it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/x1-NE555-CD...r-Follower-Scroller-DIY-KIT-USA-/171522962328

05285.png

here image shows some signs that can be use. this image got from this link
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_7/6.html

please help me. if you know a circuit tell me

thanks

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Do NOT type in ALL CAPS. I have fixed your thread title. If you do it again we will give you a holiday from Electronics Point.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
No, that kit won't do what you want. Also it is priced about twenty times higher than its value.

You haven't defined what you want, but I osmote from your thread title that you want a frequency spectrum display. That is, an array of bar graphs, one for each frequency band. This will give a display like this:

Equalizer_1.png

This requires circuitry to split the audio signal into the required number of narrow frequency bands, circuitry to detect the signal level in each band, and circuitry to convert the detected level into a bar graph display and drive the LEDs. That is a lot of circuitry. The alternative is to use a DSP and drive the LEDs as a multiplexed array but there is a significant learning curve for DSPs.

A simpler option is a single bar graph that shows the overall signal level. This produces a display like just one column of the image above. It does not distinguish the frequencies in the signal.

This requires only one circuit to convert the signal level to a voltage, and one LED bar graph driver and one column of LEDs. You can find designs for this all over the net - look for VU LED bar graph or amplitude bar graph LED for designs. Also search for LM3915. This is the IC normally used to produce the bar graph display and drive the LEDs for a signal level meter.