Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Drive-in speaker ideas

kahlereese

Apr 8, 2012
An old drive-in theatre was torn down by my house a little while back and I was able to get hold of an old speaker. I like the look of it and want put some new guts inside to make it a working speaker.

How difficult would it be to make this a bluetooth speaker? Could I cannibalize a cheap speaker and make it work? I'm sure none of the orginial components (speaker) are worth anything. Ideas?

il_340x270.363979928_2i2k.jpg

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Easy to cannibalize a bluetooth speaker.
Take a look at some phone booths/kiosks and look for them. (Don't get a bluetooth headset or earphone though unless you plan to build an amplifier to cram in there too... but it could get you more volume in the long run if you build your own.)
There are also bluetooth receivers with a 3.5mm plug that can be used on pretty much anything with an analogue audio input. These could be crammed in there as well.

Oh, and chances are that the insides of that things are done, or close too... but you could always test them to be sure.

kahlereese

Apr 8, 2012
Take a look at some phone booths/kiosks and look for them.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure I follow this though...are you saying phone booths & kiosks have blue tooth speakers in them? Just curious.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks for the reply. Not sure I follow this though...are you saying phone booths & kiosks have blue tooth speakers in them? Just curious.
I'm saying they sell Mono, bluetooth speakers for cell phones. This would be incredibly easy to cram in that thing

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Gryd3,

Humorous misinterpretation there. When I read your post, I thought you were suggesting stealing something from a phone booth. And where would one find a phone booth these days anyway?

Bob

Aexp

Oct 28, 2014
I've been tinkering with a similar idea. Let me know how your project goes