Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DPDT question

webstage

Apr 5, 2011
I have been looking for a DPDT red push button momentary switch for use in an application of mine and can't seem to find that exact thing. Should I use a Relay?

The application is:
I need the ONE switch to be able to operate two motors. One motor needs to be on (NC connection) and the other needs to be off (NO connection) in the normal state of the switch.

When pressed the motor that is on goes off and the motor that is off comes on.

I have found expensive switches from places like Grainger that comes with contact blocks you can assemble in pretty much any way. But I wanted a switch that costs less than $50 though. :)

Any help?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well, for a start you need to tell us what voltage and current are required by your motors.

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
You want an SPTT (if you want the option to turn both the motors off - stable posstition in the center) or an SPDT which will simply switch between motors however one motor will always be on.

webstage

Apr 5, 2011
OK - here is more info

The actual circuit I need is this:

I have a 110v AC to 12v DC converter
I think it's rated at 3 amps and like a 100w

From this 12v I need to be able to have a switch that turns off one thing and on another. It's actually 12v valves that needs to be turned on and off. This is an air tank set-up in which I am trying to have one valve (V1) open (to fill the air tank) then when the switch is pressed it closes this valve (to stop the air flow) and then needs to turn on another item (a spark ignition system). This switch needs to be momentary.

so my circuit is: I am using the 12v (-) in my Remote control

12v(-) in to a E-Stop NC switch - then to an On/Off NO switch for an ON button

From there I have an ARM button, a SPARK button and a FIRE button. The Arm button is an On/Off which opens V1. The Spark button needs to close V1 and send 12v(-) to the coil for the spark igniter. I will wire the FIRE button so that unless the spark is pressed and held, the fire button will not work. The FIRE button will simply send a signal to V2 to open and release the trapped air.

I know this is a mess explanation....I can link to an image if needed. Thanks for any help.