Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Doubts battery operation and power of the Chinese plasma pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer87

Mar 11, 2017
plasma pen can be used by USB cable When the battery does not work and without removing the battery from the equipment?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Oh, has @gamer87 from Brazil started up his merry-go-'round again? Pardon me if I choose not to ride this one out. I do wonder though if @davenn will allow this thread to ramble on for six pages and more than a hundred posts while @gamer87 ignores our responses and keeps asking the same question(s) over and over and over and over and ... well I hope someone gets the idea.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I do wonder though if @davenn will allow this thread to ramble on for six pages and more than a hundred posts while @gamer87 ignores our responses and keeps asking the same question(s) over and over and over and over and ... well I hope someone gets the idea.

no, I wont ;)

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Does the pen work upto now?
Sometimes it helps to run the battery empy and charge it full.
It helped on our HP laptop that would not charge the battery anymore.

Bertus

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
... let's give @gamer87 at least a chance.;)
no, I wont ;)
Youse guys do an outstanding (and probably underpaid) job of moderating this forum. I do think @(*steve*) is the most "laid back" moderator though. Plus, Steve has a knack for finding and posting good photos of really interesting, vintage, electronic toys and then restoring them to "like new" condition. Kudos to him for that!

Okay, I have no problem giving @gamer87 his chance to find out what his "snake oil" plasma pen will do if the non-removable and non-serviceable battery is run down and he wants to try to operate it using a USB wall-wart power supply. I have seen these contraptions offered for sale at prices anywhere from a few tens of dollars to a thousand dollars or more, so it may be worthwhile to find out if that internal battery is really needed to make spark discharges against human skin. If it were mine, I wouldn't hesitate to take it apart to replace or eliminate entirely the internal battery. Well, I might hesitate a little if I paid big bux to acquire it.

BTW, the "plasma" in the name "plasma pen" comes from the spark discharge it makes. A spark, by definition, creates a conductive plasma in a gaseous medium. Because the operator holds the device like a pen, ergo the moniker plasma pen. Snake oil by any other name is still snake oil. Right up there with muffler grease, sold to backyard shade tree mechanics, along with headlight fluid. And one should always remember to procure and properly use a torque wrench to tighten their lightning bolts.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I do think @(*steve*) is the most "laid back" moderator though.

And I am laid back as I respond to this...

I'm keeping an eye on it too. Last time I read this thread I was confused as to what the question was about. And I still am, because the only one who can explain is yet to post a second time.

I understand the frustration, but it's probably best to wait for @gamer87 to provide some furher explanation. I'm afraid I find his opening post to be rather cryptic. Maybe he is so familiar with his problem that he has forgotten to give us the needed background information?

My recommendation for anyone feeling frustration is too either complain to the moderators (because we're the people who can do something), or to just "like" someone else's response. At the moment there's probably 2* replies in this thread that I would keep if I did a cleanup.

*Hyperbole

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
@(*steve*), in a previous thread by the same OP, which @davenn eventually terminated because it wasn't going anywhere and the OP appeared not to respond to our comments, the "problem" seemed to revolve around how to determine whether the internal battery was charged or not. Since the battery had no externally accessible terminals, and the OP appeared unwilling to open up their "plasma pen," which may have required an irreversibly destructive operation, most of us responding concluded the main question of how to determine the battery charge state could not be answered.

This current thread poses a similar dilemma regarding whether or not the device will operate with a "dead" battery if provided power through a USB cable, presumable attached to a wall-wart. Given the fact that we have no idea how this piece of kit actually works, so far the "best" advice is to try it and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.