Connect with us

doubling up cat 5

Discussion in 'Security Alarms' started by Spike, May 16, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Spike

    Spike Guest

    Can I put two PCs on one run of cat5 ?
    In other words, 2 pairs aren't used in a cat 5 run and tricky to run another
    cat 5 for a 2nd PC beside the first.
    Can i use wh of brn, the wh/grn pair and the bron of wh for another jack ?
  2. I dont think so. Yet never tried it. You could pop a second NIC in the 1st
    machine and share the internet from that to the 2nd. Or get a
    router/switch/hub/etc and do it that way. Never tried what your thinking.
  3. Frank Olson

    Frank Olson Guest

    An extra "pair" is often used for remote control of a computer on a network
    (depends on what NIC you're using). As for your original question, I don't see
    any problem if you're using a standard NIC (mind you I haven't tried it myself
    so I can't say for sure). Don't forget to disconnect the unused 2 pair from the
    first computer (or on the jack on the hub/switch side going to the first
    computer) just in case you happen to have a NIC like I mentioned.
  4. alarman

    alarman Guest

    Yup. No problem.
  5. Frank Olson

    Frank Olson Guest

    That's funny... everything I've seen from Intel lately suggests it's going the
    other way... as in FEWER wires...


    That's an even better suggestion...
  6. Spike

    Spike Guest

    I tried a 2nd hub it is too far from the router, 15 ft is maximum
  7. Spike

    Spike Guest

  8. Frank Olson

    Frank Olson Guest

    That's only true in the case of USB. You're not connecting the jack properly or
    the hub/switch requires a different "pin-out" on the interconnect cable.
  9. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    Get a real "switch", not a "hub" (major difference). I'd have to
    agree with bAss on this one, that's the best solution.

  10. Aegis

    Aegis Guest

    You are only using Pins 1 (Ora/Wht),2(Ora),3(Grn/Wht), and 6(Grn) for one
    line. Yes, you can use the other pairs for a 2nd data line and it works
    fine... I'm doing it right now (had a Cat5 going from one side of the house
    to the other and was too lazy to string a second line. Couldn't use
    hub/switch because one line goes to my DSL and the other goes to my Cable

    So feel free to use your Blue and Brown pairs; split them off inside a dual
    jack (that's what I did). No bandwidth problems (since CAT5 is rated for
    100baseT and I seriously doubt you got your hands on a connection, at your
    house, that even pushes 10baseT speeds so the data loss, if any, will be

    Whatever you do, DON'T use a hub... Use a switch if you want. Why? With a
    hub, you split your bandwidth between computers, while a switch splits the
    connection while retaining full bandwidth on both (or more) computers.
  11. do you even know what the T stands for in 10baseT?
  12. Aegis

    Aegis Guest

    Twisted... as in 'twisted pair'

  13. I just find my experience that people say 10baseT yet never know what the T
    means. been awhile since ive seen a BNC based network, but they're still out
  14. Aegis

    Aegis Guest

    Thinnet and thicknet... I remember those quite well... Pain in the .. um..
    temporal lobe...
  15. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    So what does 10Base-5 and 10Base-2 mean? And what are their
  16. Paul

    Paul Guest

    The original cabling standard for Ethernet that uses coaxial cables. The
    name derives from the fact that the maximum data transfer speed is 10 Mbps,
    it uses baseband transmission, and the maximum length of cables is 500
    10Base5 is also called thick Ethernet, ThickWire, and ThickNet
  17. mezrac

    mezrac Guest

  18. true true ... is this the same paranoid paul answering?
    i am not a computer expert, but when i took a networking class at a local
    college, it was amasing how many people knew that information, and the
    insides and out of tokens, yet they didntk now basic things like net, ping,
    ipconfig. loopbacks etc...
  19. LJ

    LJ Guest

    Yes, - I suspect you are using an Ethernet Broadband Router for the
    2nd computer. A procedure called crossover can be tricky, unless you
    are used to it......
  20. Aegis

    Aegis Guest

    Bayonet Neill-Concelman

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day