Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Door Latch opener switch

Suraj00797

Jan 2, 2013
I need a circuit for opening a door's latch using IR LED switch. Please help.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
More information please. Is the transmitter going to be a battery operated hand held device? What about the receiver end? Will it also be battery operated or will a wallwart suffice? Keep in mind that a solenoid, which is commonly used to pull the latch, will draw appreciable current.

Chris

Suraj00797

Jan 2, 2013
Yes both the Tx and Rx are battery operated. The device will be used only for pulling the latch ( Don't have any idea about pushing the latch back, any suggestions are welcomed). And does it need any coding? Thanks for the reply.

Suraj00797

Jan 2, 2013
Sir please do reply. And apologies for my late reply(was on some serious work all those days). I need help on this circuit very urgently. Thanks in advance.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Please describe the latch or, better yet, post a photo of it.

Chris

Suraj00797

Jan 2, 2013
Sir, I din't yet start working on it. First of all i need a model of it, that is what i'm asking you to help me with. Does the latching solenoid work on a 9v battery supply? And does the IR Rx and Tx require any coding?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Sir, I din't yet start working on it. First of all i need a model of it, that is what i'm asking you to help me with. Does the latching solenoid work on a 9v battery supply? And does the IR Rx and Tx require any coding?

So, let me get this straight... You're asking us for detailed specifications for an unknown device that you haven't chosen yet?

In that case the answer is: definitely!*

*definitely maybe

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Does the latching solenoid work on a 9v battery supply?

If you're referring to what's commonly known as a '9V Transistor Radio Battery' then absolutely and unequivocally NO!

Chris

Suraj00797

Jan 2, 2013
So, let me get this straight... You're asking us for detailed specifications for an unknown device that you haven't chosen yet?

In that case the answer is: definitely!*

*definitely maybe

Okay Let me get this clear, I'm actually working on a door latch opener which will be controlled by a remote(Infrared). I just need to know what are the specifications of a latching solenoid which can be used for this device, and whether the infrared remote require any coding for the latch opening operation.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You will determine that when you pick a solenoid!

Bob

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Okay, so what's the minimum voltage required for its working?

Unless this solenoid is unlatching a dollhouse door I don't see battery operation practical. To power a typical (human size) door latch for a reasonable period of time, without recharging or battery replacement, would require D cells or rechargeable Nicad, Lith-Ion, etc packs.

Chris

Suraj00797

Jan 2, 2013
Unless this solenoid is unlatching a dollhouse door I don't see battery operation practical. To power a typical (human size) door latch for a reasonable period of time, without recharging or battery replacement, would require D cells or rechargeable Nicad, Lith-Ion, etc packs.

Chris

Okay. I need a circuit for the Remote controlling operation of the circuit, could you please post a circuit which works on IR and does a single operation(Opening of latch).

Last edited:

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Okay. I need a circuit for the Remote controlling operation of the circuit, could you please post a circuit which works on IR and does a single operation(Opening of latch).

No! How can we provide information when we receive none from you?

Chris

Suraj00797

Jan 2, 2013
No! How can we provide information when we receive none from you?

Chris

Okay, what all information do you need? What i know is Astable multivibrator can be used as a 38Khz transmitter but i'm not sure if it needs modulation, and i don't know which IC to be used in the receiver.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Okay, what all information do you need? What i know is Astable multivibrator can be used as a 38Khz transmitter but i'm not sure if it needs modulation, and i don't know which IC to be used in the receiver.

The fact of the matter is the transmitter and receiver aren't an issue here There are numerous IR kits available that will be cheaper than building it by procuring the components individually ... and they come with the PCB!

Chris

Suraj00797

Jan 2, 2013
The fact of the matter is the transmitter and receiver aren't an issue here There are numerous IR kits available that will be cheaper than building it by procuring the components individually ... and they come with the PCB!

Chris

Yes sir, i'm aware of that. But it's actually a college product, so it's kinda do it yourself type. So i need a practical working circuit for the Rx and Tx.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Yes sir, i'm aware of that. But it's actually a college product, so it's kinda do it yourself type. So i need a practical working circuit for the Rx and Tx.

So this is college 2013? Here's a tip for you. If and when you graduate firms aren't going to take you aboard based on your degree alone. They will sit your butt down in an empty conference room while you wait for an engineer; typically the chief engineer. When he arrives he will pick your brain and quiz you with schematics he'll either ask you to draw or to explain one of his own.

Here's another tip.. We don't do your homework!

Chris