Connect with us

Dont want to blow up my welder.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Neil Deaves, May 10, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Neil Deaves

Neil Deaves

May 10, 2017
    HI i will get through the preamble as quickly as poss. I need help because i'm an ordinary person and not made of money.
    My problem is

I have an inverter welder .
    i need to use to repair my project car in a place with no mains supply.
    inverter welders are well known to blow up on portable generators possibly because of supply variations.
    i cant afford an inverter generator. i can just afford a used genny.
    my welder needs 230v, 50 hz at max 21 amp but i could get by on about 16 amp.
    i've thought about trying to find a used single phase 230v to 230v motor inverter /speed controller would either work
    any other suggestions welcome, as a mech eng i'm happy to make or adapt anything, problem always is money and lack of maths

Thanks for any help

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    I do not understand the story. What you need is an alternator capable of 5kW plus.
    A welder is a horrible load and an alternator may not be able to handle the variations. Also the invertor rectifies the mains which distorts the waveform. One alternator that i played with needed a 2kW resistive load to make it behave.
    You will need a 10kW engine to give a reasonably constant speed. If you have a tractor, then a PTO alternator would be my favorite solution.

My brother used an aircraft DC generator driven by a tractor. Voltage was controlled by engine speed and current with yards of iron wire resistors. This Heath Robinson system needed very sophisticated driving which I never managed.

Neil Deaves likes this.
  3. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    The welder is a horrible load because it's essentially a short circuit every time you strike an arc.
    I agree with duke37 that you need upwards of 5kw. It's doubtful 16amps is enough. I wouldn't chance it. I would go with at least 7kw.
    I don't see it being less expensive using an alternator either.

It's a lot slower but you could always weld with an oxy/acetylene torch.

Neil Deaves likes this.
Ask a Question