Connect with us

Don't Fence Me Out

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Anthony Guy, Dec 26, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Anthony Guy

Anthony Guy

Dec 26, 2015
    Hello, I'm not a true electronics geek, I've built kits and can generally follow a schematic, but I have limited knowledge of electronics. This past summer I had my strawberry patch raided by raccoons before I could
    harvest any. I'd like to build an electric fence to keep them out. I was wondering if I could use an old 12 volt car battery charger as a power source? I'm looking for a high voltage, low amperage transformer, and have no idea where to find one. I'm not sure if I'm on the right track as far as using this as a power source. That came to mind simply because you can find them cheap at garage sales, and if I ruin it, I won't feel bad. Any help that can be offered to point me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

2. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    Mist fence chargers are based on a small switching power supply circuit called a flyback. This is the same topology as is used in cars to generate the spark plug voltage. A car battery charger will run one with a little help. The transformer you describe would be correct if you were running the fence directly off the power line, but that is a much more difficult path because that is not a common transformer.

As for direction, turn toward ebay. Small fence chargers are under $30.

ak

3. GPG

GPG

Sep 18, 2015
  4. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Please don't try to power your electric fence with a high-voltage, low-current transformer! This may work using a small neon-sign transformer, but it is very dangerous. Fence chargers produce a pulsed output whereas the transformer output is continuous. So instead, use a commercial fence charger as recommended by @GPG sized for pets (not horses or cattle!). You can power these with a solar-cell array and battery, but line-operated is better if you can locate the fence charger close to electric service. Since raccoons are nocturnal, you probably want to put the fence charger on a 24-hour mechanical timer so it only operates at night.

Don't forget to shelter the fence charger from the weather. A little "house" mounted on posts a couple feet above grade will do.

Tha fios agaibh likes this.
Ask a Question