Connect with us

Don't Bin that Microwave!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by chopnhack, Jan 28, 2016.

1. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    I never would have thought it, but microwave ovens have a lot of recoverable parts!!
    If you are asking why I say this, I took apart two that were destined for the land fill and was able to walk away with a small milk crate full of cool parts. Lots of relays, contact switches, t-stats (more likely cutoff switches above a temp), big transformers!, strong ring magnets, digital displays, AC fans, lightbulbs with sockets and some very large caps. The caps are the most dangerous component and should be properly handled. I checked mine first for potential, found none registering and then shorted the terminals for good measure with a small piece of insulated wire.

2. rickselectricalprojects

rickselectricalprojects

Feb 1, 2015
    Microwave's do have a lot of goodies. I would like to take apart one of the new "inverter" type microwaves which uses a HV SMPS instead of the big, heavy transformer.

3. Y2KEDDIE

Y2KEDDIE

Sep 23, 2012
    I salvage the cabinet covers. I bend 1/8 aluminum into a u-shape for my project and use the salvaged cover to finish.. Small microwave ovens are just right for some of my larger projects.

chopnhack likes this.
  4. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    I thought of doing the same but noticed that the ceramic paint finish started to chip off! I still have it, but was going to pitch it, maybe I will save it after all, thanks for the input.

Did you have any issues with chipping? My thought on reuse was to cut to over sized and then roll the edges to keep them from being sharp, that is when I noticed the paint issue.

5. Y2KEDDIE

Y2KEDDIE

Sep 23, 2012
    Paint chipping doesn't surprise me, especially with white enamel. I try to pick up only the black or wood grain finish when I find them. I use the covers as they are without bending. I let the front slightly protrude beyond the front panel, sort of a shadow box design. I expect if roll beading and/or cutting will leave some marks or scratches, but nothing a little spray paint won't cover. I don't particularly like white or light finishes, but beggers (such as myself) can not be choosey.

Ask a Question