Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Does electron die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
The wire get burn at at higher current.
If voltage increase that mean pressure increase?
and current increase mean electron increase?
Voltage is not "pressure". Pressure is a mechanical and hydraulic term, not an electrical term. Current is rate of charge carrier flow. Knowing that, you should be able to answer your question about "electron increase".

Ratch

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Personally, though the term "pressure" may not be an appropriate term to describe Voltage, it's about as good an analogy as can be found when teaching basic electronics. I often used plumbing concepts to convey Ohms Law relationships of E, I & R. Students sometimes need a tangible reference to grasp a concept.

Chris

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Personally, though the term "pressure" may not be an appropriate term to describe Voltage, it's about as good an analogy as can be found when teaching basic electronics. I often used plumbing concepts to convey Ohms Law relationships of E, I & R. Students sometimes need a tangible reference to grasp a concept.

Chris

Whenever I hear someone use a hydraulic analogy to describe an electrical circuit, I ask if the circuit leaks. Then I ask if anyone got wet. Finally, I ask if hydraulic engineers use electrical analogies to learn their craft.

By the way, Ohm's law is not E=I*R and all its variations. That is the definition of resistance. Ohm's law refers to the resistive linearity of a material. In other words, it is a material property. I can back up what I said if necessary.

Ratch

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Your signature is most definitely befitting. Hey, whatever floats your boat.

Chris

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
How should i study these topic?
I use several good texts on electrical science and some good physics books. Then I evaluate what the texts aver. Keep in mind that there is a lot of technical "slang" that does not correctly describe what is happening. Things like "current flow" or "space walking".

Ratch

RRITESH

Oct 10, 2010
So, what we say few words for electrons in in Al and copper wires?
why copper wire is preffer?
it has lot of free electron than aluminum silver?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
By the way, Ohm's law is not E=I*R and all its variations. That is the definition of resistance. Ohm's law refers to the resistive linearity of a material. In other words, it is a material property. I can back up what I said if necessary.

Ratch
Where were you when I was arguing exactly this point, and others insisted that Ohms law applies to every component including diodes, transistors, inductors and capacitors, and even "negative resistance" devices.

Bob

RRITESH

Oct 10, 2010
Where were you when I was arguing exactly this point, and others insisted that Ohms law applies to every component including diodes, transistors, inductors and capacitors, and even "negative resistance" devices.

Can we apply ohms law on other than linear resistance like inductor bjt?

RRITESH

Oct 10, 2010
only on linear component like resistance.
what are other component with linearity?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
It has nothing to do with linearity. Ohms law describes the relationship of voltage to current in a resistor. There are other equations (laws) that define the relationship of voltage and current in other components. For example:

dV/dt = I / C for capacitors
dI/dt = V / L for inductors

Bob

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
So, what we say few words for electrons in in Al and copper wires?
Above sentence does not make sense.

why copper wire is preffer?
Remember what I said about capitalizing the beginning of sentences?
The resistivity of aluminum is almost 60% greater than copper. Aluminum does have the highest conductivity per weight than any other solid material, however.

it has lot of free electron than aluminum silver?
What do you mean by the above sentence?

Ratch

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013

Bob

When was that? Where was that? Can you supply a link?

Ratch

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Can we apply ohms law on other than linear resistance like inductor bjt?

Ohm's law is a property of a material, specifically the linearity of its resistivity with respect to the current within. You don't apply a property of a material to anything. It is an intrinsic part of a material. The E = I*R equation that many folks and writings call Ohm's law is really a definition of resistance.

Ratch

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Here is the thread. Be prepared to be dumbfounded.

The basis is this quote:

I disputed this, thinking it was non-controversial, and got basically no support for my position.

https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/ohms-law-or-not-ohms-law-that-is-the-question.252367/

Bob

OK, first things first. The reason I did not participate in that "discussion" was because I did join this forum until 6 months later. You are correct in your assertion about Ohm's law, but you did not articulate the fact that E=IR is the definition of resistance. Furthermore, you should had stated that a definition is not a law. Unfortunately, you also let the arguments drift into areas that did not pertain to the discussion, such as reactance and history. So, after the E=IR is debunked as being Ohm's law, there is only the linearity of resistance left. I will be happy to counter any arguments to the contrary with facts and reason.

Ratch

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Actually, I thought I did say that, but I am not up for reading that thread again, or resurrecting it.

The only way I could make what others were saying true was to substitute "Ohms Law" with "some relation between I and V, but it may be non-linear and depend on other variables such as time, frequency, phase, and even history". Which is not what I call Ohms Law.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.