Connect with us

Does anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Knife, Jan 15, 2022.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Knife

Knife

Jan 15, 2022
    I am trying to fix my carrier furnace draft inducing motor. THere was a burned out trace on the pcb so I fixed it. It didn't work. I saw some smoke. I took it apart and there is a burned out component. I am not sure if it was burned out before because I was focused on the trace. I am a novice trying to save money. I would like to give it one more try and replace the burned out component. I think it is a ceramic capacitor. However I cannot decipher the nomenclature for the farads, etc. Can anyone tell by the picture what this is and how I can get one? Yes I know I prob should just buy a new motor but it iw 1400$ and at least two months wait. The motor model is Ge ECM by regal-beloit 5sme44jg2006A. I can;t find any schematics on the web. Thanks for any help.

Knife IMG_2979 (2).jpg

2. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    More photos. Different angles, zoom out a bit so we see the component in the context of other components around it. Any markings on the other side of the part? First guess, a noise suppression capacitor, or maybe a surge suppressor.

ak

davenn likes this.
  3. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    May also be a current limiter for startup.

4. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    Should be a MOV to absorb spikes, or AC rated capacitor to supress transients on the AC line to protect circuitry.
    Follow its traces if it is across mains, or in series, or make a circuit sketch to find its application. Include the blue one behind too.

----> https://www.ecosia.org/images?q=mov spike ac mains

Minder likes this.
  5. Knife

Knife

Jan 15, 2022
    Here is another image. It is labeled RT1. From my reading, I think this is a thermistor? I don't know if it is PTC or NTC. I can't decipher the nomenclature to tell how I can get a replacement. It is blown on top. Does one type of thermistor "blow" and the other doesn't? How can I tell the difference. Externet mentioned a MOV( so I had to look that up) but with the labeling I am now showing you, do you still think that the component is a MOV or thermistor?
    image0 (1).jpg ?
    I sure appreciate all your help. I am not talented enough to draw a circuit diagram without spending a lot of hours on it so I am trying for the low hanging fruit first. Thank you.

6. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Another pic, wider angle, would be helpful.

7. bertus

bertus Moderator

Nov 8, 2019
  8. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    A MOV is usually connected directly across an AC or DC supply, see if you can tell in this case.
    A MOV is rated for normal operating voltage and Joules, i.e. the energy it will absorb before destruction, as in the case of a large power surge or spike.

9. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Once again , it will be for current limiting at startup.

10. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    That would be if it is a PTC resistive device, I suspect it is a MOV.
    Could be either?

11. Knife

Knife

Jan 15, 2022
    I was able to find the manufacture. It is a 10 ohm thermistor. Thanks for all your help.

Ask a Question