Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Do I need a stornger UV LED?

sergioq

Oct 29, 2013
So am using UV LEDS from Radio Shack* Using them, I can see the UV strip on a US currency bill, but not its color.

So am guessing I need a BRIGHTER LED(s)? Anyone with any previence experience, would love to hear your advice.

Many thanks,

Sergio

*5mm High-Brightness Ultraviolet LED (2-Pack)
3.3V typical
4.0 max

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The colour will be determined by the fluorescent dye which is being energised.

sergioq

Oct 29, 2013
I get that. But it appears that the different color only shows under different wavelengths and or strengths. So does anyone have any idea to the key to the solution.

p.s. My current UV LED does show the strip, but not the color.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The strength is not important. The radio shack UV LEDs may not be in the correct part of the spectrum (and they might not actually be UV) can they make other things fluoresce?

sergioq

Oct 29, 2013
The strength is not important. The radio shack UV LEDs may not be in the correct part of the spectrum (and they might not actually be UV) can they make other things fluoresce?

It's sold as a UV LED, and yes, they do make other things fluoresce. i.e. In the mirror, my real teeth vs. my caps. So I do believe it to be a real UV.

As I said, in the bills I can see the strips with the UV LED. But their individual colors do not.

What might I be lacking? Strength?

Thanks ahead of time for any insight.

Sergio

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yes, I think you might be lacking strength. I suggest a radical upper body workout program.

edit: seriously. It;s not the "strength" of the LED. Are you trying to do this under bright ambient light? Try it in a darkened room with the LED being the only source of light.

Last edited: