Connect with us

DIY Voltage Meter (multimeter)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by elioacm, Aug 11, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. elioacm

elioacm

Jul 7, 2013
    is there a voltage meter like a multimeter on radioshack/Deeco(PH)

that is purpose only to calculate my remaining voltage on my battery..

ps: i like it to be little as possible not like a "multi"meter..
    for example, a flash light that has a built in voltage meter...

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yes, it's called a voltmeter.

There are many types. What voltage is your battery (nominally)?

Beware that a voltmeter will (slowly) discharge your battery so you don't generally leave it connected permanently.

3. elioacm

elioacm

Jul 7, 2013
    its 9 volts, when i finally bought one would you help me on how to make the connections.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The simplest approach is to get a 0-1mA meter and place a resistor in series with it. When the resistor added to the meter's resistance totals 10k, the meter will read 0 to 10V.

5. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Historically,..and we're talking over a century, manufacturer data included on the meter face or marked on the rear of the housing, has never been standardized. Some manufacturers listed the basic movement's Internal Resistance or FSmV. Either made it easy to calculate multipliers and shunts. . Unfortunately many didn't and still don't.

Do you own a DMM?

Chris

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  6. Rleo6965

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
    If your in Metro Manila Philippines. You can buy small digital meter from CD-R King worth P100.00 or $2.30:)

7. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Just remember that you can't use a digital meter (it requires a power source) to check its own battery. This means that you will have two batteries. The one you're measuring and the one that powers the meter.

Chris

8. Rleo6965

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
    Here's the picture. I bought this compact DVM for emergency tools in my car.:)

Attached Files:

Ask a Question