Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DIY retracting License plate help.

MattCBR

Mar 15, 2012
Hi, I'm trying to make a compact license plate retractor that pulls the license plate up inside my motorcycle tail. I go to bike shows, bike nights, and when I park outside I like the looks and safety of having the license plate retract... no I don't run from cops (I have a wife and kids and a job... I don't need a felony).

The kits are $150+ and they are only flip up kinds... I'd like my plate on a track that can extend and retract with a switch... up position (license plate up)/ down position license plate down.

Anyway, I'm no novice when it comes to retrofitting, soldering, and wrenching. But I know nothing about servos, motor controllers, etc.

I just can't figure out how to contol a servo, motor, or selenoid to power the license plate up six inches, stop, shut off, then power down the plate six inches, stop, and shut off.

What supplies will I need? I want to do it simple and cheap and compact:D

Here's the project and the tail where the plate will retract up into:
zu05t2.jpg

244vbyx.jpg

The purple is a raised flat undertail allowing the (blue) plate to under out from the curved undertail on the yellow track.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You do not need a servo that that. A motor that can push the plate in either direction, plus two limit swiches to turn it off when it gets to the final posisitions is all you need. The up / down switch would simply reverse the polarity on the motor and the limit swiches would be normally on, and off when the limit was hit.

Bob

MattCBR

Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

What switch sould I use with the limit switchs to turn off the current to the motor? Are there special switches that can be reset to neutral when the motor is turned off (like turn signals in a car?).:confused:

Where do I buy supplies for a project like this... specifically the track and a compatible motor? Searching only resulted in large industrial equipment.

MattCBR

Mar 15, 2012
Could I use something like this?:

1CH DC Power RF Motor Remote Control Radio Controller Inversion Mode Time Delay Function

• With forward-reverse-stop capability. You can rotate the motor in the positive or reversal direction with the transmitter
  • With time delay function, the working time of positive/reversal rotation can be adjusted from 10 to 60 seconds.
I really like:
  • "When the rotation is overdone, if the restrictive switch S1 or S2 is activated, the motor will stop automatically."

http://www.carymart.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=272

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
That would work, if what you want is a remote control for the motor. I did not get that from your original post.

Bob

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Matt,
you may consider putting a fail safe circuit in place such that the license plate automatically comes down when theengine is running AND the gear is shifted to any other gear than neutral. Or you might tap the speedometer and make the license plate come down if the speed is higher than 5km/h.
This way you cannot accidentally forget to make the bike road-ready after the show.

Harald