Connect with us

Display Lens Source

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by alfa88, Jul 3, 2018.

1. alfa88

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
    I've been restoring some old equipment and run into a brick wall trying to replace the damaged front panel display window. One meter uses Nixie displays and has an amber colored window, the other uses a 7 segment led display and would need a red tint. The thickness should be ~ 0.9mm/.035" . I tried a spray tint on some vinyl page dividers obtained at a office supply store but not only did the paint adhere poorly; the clarity was miserable . Tried milling down 1/8" tinted acrylic with a Dremel. Fail. And lastly investigated several suppliers of gel filters but can't seem to get an answer on the thickness. I'm hoping there's a brainiac that knows of a source.

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
  3. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  4. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    Look for clear-colored plastic 'dividers' for folders at the office supply place.

[​IMG]
    Or, If you find the wanted thickness in clear acrylic/plexiglas, mix fountain pen ink with clear coat and spray.

davenn likes this.
  5. alfa88

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
    I found paint or dyes not to durable.
    I looked up polyester and sure enough Granger has something that will work.
    I guess I just associated polyester with Saturday Night Fever

hevans1944 likes this.
  6. alfa88

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
    The polyester from Granger turned out to be opaque. Didn't order. Then I had a brain fart. I just bought some tinted CD cases at Office Depot. Thin, transparent and in 5 different colors.

Ask a Question