Connect with us

disolvable circuits !! interesting

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by davenn, Dec 14, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi gang,
    I'm on an email list server from an organisation that reports on all sorts of advances in electronics and related fields

here's one of the latest offerings .....

"Scientists have created a class of circuitry that promises to reduce non-biodegradable consumer electronics waste. The "transient electronics" function for a pre-determined duration — ranging from minutes to years — and then decompose in water. The researchers printed the circuits using soluble conductors on nanometer-thick silicon, controlling the rate of decay by coating the electronics with silk. The thicker the coating, the longer the circuit lasts."
    http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/sci...t-electronic-circuits-that-dissolve-in-water/

cool .... just dont let it get wet prematurely!! haha

Dave

2. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    I can see the potential for misuse there. Dissolvable evidence :p

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    yup interesting thought

but I guess when boiled down, any technology has the potential to be mis-used and often does

Dave

4. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    During the war in Southeast Asia, we used a special paper for sensitive information.
    When you got it wet in any way, humidity, sweat, or threw water on it, it dissolved.
    For a couple years afterward, somebody was printing checks on the stuff and cashing
    them at banks. When the tellers went to tally their drawers at the end of the work-day,
    all evidence of the transaction had disappeared.
    I've heard there are some circuits in use now, that have organic construction.

5. galaxy

galaxy

Nov 3, 2012
    Not only destruction of evidence..
    What a boon for manufacturers and "planned obsolescence".

One week out of Warranty? Our new model automatically releases a small quantity of water to completely dissolve the circuitry...

Forget about trying to find the markings on a burned component... try to find the darn circuit board ...:)

6. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    Give's a new meaning to dropping it in water....

No thanks, I want to give all my devices a treatment of hydrophobia (i think that's the correct word lol) so it repels water...

7. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    BUT....

I bet you now, 100% apple will start using modules of their phones designed from this clever technique in certain parts, headphones, connectors, anything that gets used a lot just to drive up profits on replacement parts..

No madam, it's been dissolved, but how? she thinks back, omg and realizes she left her phone out on the table and 1 drop of rain lands.... it seeps in and within 30 minutes your connects or earphones have dissolved :) that will be $110 please, well, this material is new and expensive you know...

(Did we want that new material to begin with!?!?!?!?)

8. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    there is also warranty side of things. alot of warranty cards state "warranty is void if item comes into contact with water"
    it will now read "item will dissolve like the wicked witch of the west if water is applied... or its a humid day"

9. VAT

VAT

Dec 10, 2012
    I cant think of any advantage for this.
    is it supposed to be environmentally friendly?

10. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Yes thats the whole idea ...enviromentally friendly

Dave

Ask a Question