Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Disc capacitor on transformer

Lordii

May 18, 2013
Hey I have a Moeller 24v transformer power supply and have found a blown disc capacitor. I know its gone because its blown up and caused a lot of black in the area. But i can't seem to find the correct one to replace it with, its a 22nf at 1kv. Blue disc capacitor. Ive just had arrived 22nf rated at 6kv, would that be okay to use or not? Basically I want to know if theres an alternative one I can use? Also i have ordered another 22nf but only mentions 50v minimum.

Also whats the best way to test a capacitor, can i use a multimeter or do i need to buy a proper tester? If you could link me to some of the equipment I require that would be ace.

I'm a maintenance engineer and I'm seriously interested in becoming more electronic, hence nabbing this faulty transformer from work :)

Best way to learn or advice welcome? or any software trainers or courses that doesnt cost too much?

Thanks

Sorry forgot to add I beleive it blew up because it was wired incorrectly and sent 240v into the 24v output. So I was told.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
240V is not going to damage a 1kV capacitor -- Hmm, ok 240V into a 24V winding will produce about 2kV on the 240V winding. *that* could destroy the capacitor (it could also destroy the transformer).

A 6kV capacitor can be used to replace a 1kV capacitor. A 50V one can't (unless the voltage across it is less than 50V -- in which case why would a 1kV capacitor have been used?)

It doesn't sound like you have the experience to work on something with high voltages in it.

You can't test a capacitor using many multimeters. However, on a resistance scale they should show 0L. It the meter has an appropriate capacitance range you should be able to check that its capacitance is close to the marked value.

It would be better if you could post some photos.

Lordii

May 18, 2013
Visualy thats all i can see wrong with the board, I've tested across the windings and theres no open circuit.