Connect with us

Diodes for rectification

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by somanshumehta, Jun 23, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. somanshumehta

somanshumehta

Jun 22, 2013
    From very begining of my electronics knowledge I useor rectification in d a general purpose IN4007 diode in bridge rectifiers.Later I learned that shokkley diodes are ideal for that.Can somebody mention it's features that makes it more appropriate.

2. eKretz

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
    Schottky diodes have a lot less voltage drop IIRC.

3. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Schottky diodes are normally low voltage. If you have a high voltage, then a moderate voltage drop is not too important.

Schottky diodes are fast and so can be used in switch mode power supplies.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Schottky diodes also have significant reverse leakage and that increases dramatically with temperature.

If you use them near their maximum rated voltage and near their maximum rated temperature, you will find they will conduct a significant amount of current in the reverse direction. This has costs (lost power, heating of the diode) that may exceed the benefit gained from their lower forward voltage.

Here is an example. Note the leakage of 522mA (Yes, that over half an amp!) at a Tj of 100C.

Ask a Question