Connect with us

DIODE

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by niyaz432, Aug 31, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. niyaz432

niyaz432

Aug 31, 2015
    Hi Guys... This is first time i am using diode concept.. I just need small information why we need to use diode in a circuit.
    As per my understanding diodes are forward bias and reverse bias. But what is the use in a circuit. if i used resistor in a circuit it means to oppose the flow of current or to reduce current..like that what is the use of diode. can you please explain?

Thanks in advance

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Welcome to electronicspoint.

Do you know Wikipedia?

3. niyaz432

niyaz432

Aug 31, 2015
    yes i know

4. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    Many uses for a diode are covered HERE
    Diode - How A Diode Works

5. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Dis you read the article in the Wikipedia? Or follow Colin's link.

6. Flurng

Flurng

Dec 29, 2012
    Greetings, Niyaz432! You mentioned resistors in your question regarding diodes, and you could almost think of a diode as a type of resistor, which has either a very high resistance, or a very low resistance, depending upon which way it is biased. For instance, if a diode is forward biased, meaning a positive potential is apply to it's anode and a negative potential to it's cathode, then the diode will present very little resistance to the flow of current, and it will act more or less like a simple conductive wire. If, on the other hand, the positive potential is applied to it's cathode, and the negative potential to it's anode, thus revers-biasing it, then the diode will present a very HIGH resistance, and will act like a broken wire, or an open circuit. another way to think of this is something similar to a one-way check valve, which allows water to flow in one direction, but not the other. The primary use for diodes is in "rectification", meaning converting AC to DC.

Ask a Question