Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Diode or something else?

cow_rulz

Oct 20, 2012
Hi, I'm trying to repair a car amplifier and unsure what this component is... It isn't continuous in either direction but looks much like a diode but not quite. Can someone tell me what it is and how to test it? It's labelled RT501, all the other diodes are labelled Dxxx. I've resoldered the entire board as a few joints looked a little dodgy, tested the cap's besides 4 larger ones that I want to remove from the board and test with my non-ESR cap tester, I'm trying to avoid removing too many components to test them. Also, the part next to it that all amps seem to have, to save me time looking, what are they? They look like a voltage regulator but I know a lot of parts can look much the same but since all amp's seem to have them I'm wondering of their function, and then I'll know how to test them. :cool: Wow, 97.7KB file limit??

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 166

davenn

Sep 5, 2009

gosh there's some garbage in that thread lol

it looks like a Diac which are 2 back to back diodes thats why you dont get a normal diode test with a meter

They are, as hinted in that other thread (tho they were talking about MOV's and other irrelevent components) used for amongst other things, voltage spike suppression. When I was in telecom, we used 100's of those in telephone ringing circuits under certain circumstances

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
............ Wow, 97.7KB file limit??

its a little more than that. but with a bit of jpg compression, an image file doesnt need to be any bigger than 40 - 70kb anyway :)

its just that some people get carried away and upload files that are huge pixel counts say 1500 x 800 and the file ends up being 200+kb which is totally pointless and takes time to download

Dave

cow_rulz

Oct 20, 2012
gosh there's some garbage in that thread lol

it looks like a Diac which are 2 back to back diodes thats why you dont get a normal diode test with a meter

They are, as hinted in that other thread (tho they were talking about MOV's and other irrelevent components) used for amongst other things, voltage spike suppression. When I was in telecom, we used 100's of those in telephone ringing circuits under certain circumstances

Dave

Thanks, so how do I test it accurately?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Wow, 97.7KB file limit??

As Dave stated you really don't need much more in most cases...

For example see the attached, it's you image compressed to about Q60 quality, and it results in an image below 1/2 the size (34KB) of your original (84KB) posted one with 'minimal' noticeable or at least relevant lose overall...

Crop around the part in question and you can get it down to single digit (8) KB size without much work...

I generally keep my jpg compression in the area of Q90 but this example shows that if you drop it down to Q60 you can really reduce size and still have decent quality... You can upload some pretty large images if you play around with the compression a little bit... I recommend being careful below Q75, but every image is different, large blocks of the same color and minimal colors (like this) can tolerate much higher compression...

Worst case you use an alternative hosting site... When I joined this site I actually setup a image hosting folder on one of my servers just in case I needed it... The only time I have used it was for a video... The attachment size hear has been more then enough thus far for most cases...

Attachments

• com test.jpg
    com test.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 127
  • com test2.jpg
    com test2.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

cow_rulz

Oct 20, 2012
I am well aware of how to compress JPEG images, if you read you'll see my question refers to the other component in the picture which you have cropped out. I'd much rather a 20MB file where I can see the shape of the dust that's on the component myself but oh well.