Connect with us

diode for collapsing magnetic field

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Blank Stare, Oct 10, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Blank Stare

Blank Stare

Oct 10, 2012
    The LEDs were added to the system, specifically to help chase down potential problems.
    I hope they did their job in this scenario. If so, then I am going for a bad ground at the pump. If not, I am seriously disappointed.

About to head out, and throw some broken plates at it... :p
    ...then I'll see if I can resolve the problem.

If I understand you correctly, you are telling me to measure the following with a multimeter:

• frame (common) ground to positive pump lead, with relay activated
      (this one gets my bet.)

• ~~~~(should be 12v - if not, then...)

• frame (common) ground to position #86 on relay (activation irrelevant)
    • ~~~~(if not 12v, then relay toasted)

• ~~~~(if is 12v, then...)

• frame (common) ground to pump ground
    • ~~~~(should be "near" 0v, or ground is lost)

Back in a little while, to clean up the broken dishes... :eek:

2. Blank Stare

Blank Stare

Oct 10, 2012
    Where's the broom? - I have a mess to clean up.

Problem was an intermittent ground, where the I had the pump's ground wire bolted to the frame, using the diode from hell as a bolt.

I took a wire brush to the contact point on the frame, and viola!, problem solved.

My computer is acting screwy - I will back in a few minutes to edit / finish this post.

3. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Yes, I imagine the LEDs worked and the blinking pump LED was flashing. Glad you found the bad motor ground. Now it's a matter of wait and see.

Good luck,
    Chris

4. Blank Stare

Blank Stare

Oct 10, 2012
    Install Complete

Sorry, computer / internet driving me crazy. :mad:

I took a few pictures of the diode from hell, as well as the rats nest at the relay.

I'll pop in tomorrow, and share them for entertainment purposes.

Now I get to mix up some soapy water, and look for an air leak - my tank is losing the top 40 psi, in under ten minutes. I don't need my compressor coming on every 15 to 20 minutes, when I am towing a 4 ton trailer behind me.

At least this one I have experience with!

Again folks, win, lose, or draw, I really appreciate all the help, and I PROMISE to touch bases now and then, to update you on the status of the upgrade/repair.

If I had the knowledge to help others here, as you have helped me, I would put up a mailbox, and you couldn't get rid of me.

You'll have to settle for knowing that I DO help out others, when they need expertise in subjects I am well versed in. If you need some advice about repairs around the home, or what paint to use, or how to find that pesky leak, or just about anything to do with the skilled trades, feel free to drop me a message.

I'll be thrilled to give something back. :)

~ Blank Stare

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    After you've been here a while maybe you'll be as good as us at the "unskilled" trades ;):D

6. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    I think that we all, at one time or another, go through a period that we'd swear that our machines and technology are at war with us. :D

Rosana Rosana Danna said it best... "It's always someth'n!"

Chris

7. Blank Stare

Blank Stare

Oct 10, 2012
    I miss Gilda - She was one of the funniest comics alive, before the Cancer got her.

Here are the pictures as promised...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Yeh, I always looked forward to that segment of SNL

Hey, I see you use the same marking system as I do. It must be something about that blue painter's tape.

Chris

9. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    May I suggest you get some dielectric grease and cover around the diode, this will help maintain a corrosion free connection that is easy to service... It's bound to rust right up if left like that, that could break the ground...

10. Blank Stare

Blank Stare

Oct 10, 2012
    Thanks for the reminder, CocaCola. - I only recently learned the joys of a good "greasin". ;)
    Parts store is on my list.

That's not painter's tape - That's Duct Tape's little brother... remember, if Blue Tape won't fix it, and Duct Tape won't fix it - it's COMPLETELY BROKE!.

11. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Here are some other uses for it.

Marking, center punching, drilling metal. Especially round stock and even more so when drilling horizontally with a hand drill motor. That thin layer of tape increases the effectiveness of the center punch measurably.

Reducing tear-out when sawing with a Hand, Chop, Table and Radial Arm saw. Nothing is as good as a backer board but the tape is amazingly effective. I use it with my hacksaw too. It helps starting and following the cut line. I didn't list a bandsaw because I never get tear-out on mine. I've re-soldered broken blades to the point of them being too short before they ever get dull.

A third hand for holding wire and components when soldering.

Here's a use that I'm sure you've never heard about. .. Painters Masking Tape. :D

Chris

12. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    There were 152 posts in this topic when you posted that. It would have been a good idea to have read them before opining. :rolleyes:

Chris

13. The Electrician

The Electrician

Jul 6, 2012
    Somehow I get the feeling that response may not be a native speaker of English.

14. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I agree with the language barrier but his/her post is simply a plagiarism of wannabegeek's post in this thread that was also the first reply to this thread, complete with the same link... :cool:

His/her string of post last night seemed more like a padding of his/her post count with frivolous replies to possibly gain PM ability?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  15. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Damn CC, Lt. Columbo and Adrian Monk have nothing on you! How did you spot that? Please don't tell us that you remembered wannabegeek's post. If you do many of us are going to feel severely memory deprived. :D

Chris

16. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    No the memory isn't that great, although sometimes I do amaze myself... More so just an aware observation this time...

Just look at all of his/her post last night/yesterday...

https://www.electronicspoint.com/search.php?searchid=3869

It was the same Modus Operandi for each of his/her post, a butchered English to English translation of one of the first replies in the thread...

A rogue plagiarizing bot with no originality... :cool:

FYI I have been moderating/administering 'online' forums since the BBS days before the Internet... With this many years of experience there comes an awareness of what sometimes is subtle and sometimes is obvious in regards to 'non-Kosher' postings...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  17. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    taken care of ;)

thanks guys for pointing it out

I had already been looking at a few other of his/her posts in other threads and they are much similar .... they just dont make sense .... may have to do some more tidying up

D

18. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on him since I saw his first couple of posts.

Seemed "unusual" to say the least.

19. Blank Stare

Blank Stare

Oct 10, 2012
    I'm Back!
    Did you miss me?

I promised I would be back. :D

So...same system, new symptom...

The 1n4001 diode (#13) from the pressure tank switch to the shared wire that feeds the coil side of the relay just MELTED while I watched.

Of course, this was completely unexpected, since it has been working for years now.

I had just replaced the old one with a new one, because I broke the leads on the old one, futzing around under the hood today.

It started smoking while I had the zener/diode pair hooked in. I removed that component, to put that part of the system back as it was, and it smoked until the diode melted into two pieces.

I was careful to make sure that I had the polarity correct, when I installed it.
    I checked again, when I removed it - I did indeed have the polarity correct.

I inspected the soldered connections I made to secure the two ends of the diode, and they both looked and felt secure.

The manual side of the system seems to be working fine.

So here's the question:

"Is it possible that I damaged the diode, while soldering it to
    a couple of compression connectors, by getting it too hot?"

If that's not it, can you suggest something else to check?

I bought an extra 1n4001 diode when I placed the order, because they are cheaper than dirt, so I have one to replace it with, but I don't want to just stick it in there, and see it smoke itself.

As always, I do appreciate you guys!​

Here's a skeleton version of the final schematic - I took out all unrelated stuff, to simplify my problem.

[​IMG]

Here's the complete schematic...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  20. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    This is getting more perplexing by the minute. Usually over heating a diode will short the junction. In your circuit a shorted diode (#13) should only cause one of your LEDs to indicate when it shouldn't. Since manual still works I guess it's possible that a resistive junction may have been created from the iron. It then heated up and died. A dead short on the cathode of the diode would have popped it in an instant! .. Like Pop!!

Perhaps others have different opinions.

Chris

Ask a Question