Connect with us

Dimming lights

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by ndh, Jul 13, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. ndh


    Jul 13, 2011

    I have some 12 volt garden lights hooked up to a transformer (an off-the-shelf kit from a DIY store) which I would really like to modify to 'fade out' when the power is disconnected.

    Based on my very sketchy memory of high school electronics, am I right in thinking that all I need to do is put a capacitor into the circuit, or is it more complicated than that?


  2. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    Jan 21, 2010
    If the power supply is DC, then a capacitor may help. Depending on the current draw, you may need a very large capacitor.

    A problem with a *very* large capacitor is that it may stress your power supply as it starts up. This is more of a problem if you are "flashing" the lights.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day