Connect with us

dimmer circuit problem

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by abde, Jan 18, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. abde

abde

Jan 18, 2017
    i have no idea whats wrong with my dimmer circuit which consists of triac and diac

Attached Files:

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    What's wrong with it? What's it supposed to, what does it do instead?
    Where does this circuit come from? It doesn't look like any standard triac dimmer I know. Compare your circuit to the standard circuit you can easily find on the net and find the error yourself. That's going to help you a lot more.
    Tell us what you've found out so we can verify your result.

Note: you're dealing with potentially lethal voltages and currents. Unless you are trained and/or well experienced with these levels of voltage and current, keep you hands off this project. If possible, get expert help from someone who can oversee your work.
    We can take no responsibility whatsoever for any accident that may happen.

3. abde

abde

Jan 18, 2017
    i apply 220v ac to one input and the output i connect a bulb, i had came across short circuits in my dimmer switch but now im well aware how to avoid and triple check my perf boarded circuit before testing it with ac outlet, when i apply ac, the bulb turns on and thats good, but i have a variable resistor that when i turn it should dim the bulb higher or lower and that does not work for me, i got the idea for a dimmer circuit from this

my schematic is over simplified like the youtube video but this is the general one i assume

Attached Files:

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    The schematic in post #3 is the typical one. Your schematic in post #1 has the diac in the wrong position.Compare your circuit carefully to the one in post #3.

5. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Perhaps you have a very eager triac. It is often recommended to place a resistor (10k?) from gate to ground to restrain it a bit.

Check that the snubber circuit is not a short.

6. abde

abde

Jan 18, 2017
    i bended my triac pins to the nearest power rails, the middle one is connected to positive and last left one is connected to the negative power rail and the last right one is connected to the diac, the way i drew the circuit looks im using different type but it isnt and yet i replaced the triac still facing the same problem

7. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    In your original "circuit diagram" you have the source voltage on the left connected directly to the load on the right. The triac, if it conducts at all, shorts the input supply voltage. Poof!

Why are you messin' around with 220 V AC mains current when you apparently lack the knowledge to safely do so? The video you posted really sucks. Not a capacitor in sight to create the necessary phase shift to vary the trigger point of the diac with respect to the power line waveform. If you insist on trying to build a dimmer circuit, use the second circuit you posted in post #3. This circuit is about as simple as it gets. ALL the components are NECESSARY. No shortcuts, no simplifications.

Ask a Question