Connect with us

Digital LED clock

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by sykesy10, Mar 21, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. sykesy10

sykesy10

Mar 21, 2013
    I have recently brought this Digital LED clock kit and after soldering it up i am trying to figure out how it works. I know how digital LED clocks usually work but i cant figure out how this one does specifically. It can run of the AC source (50HZ) or the oscillator, there is a trim capacitor to fine adjust the timing given from the oscillator. There is no counters or anything to gear down the 50 HZ frequency? But there is a pre programmed chip so is this where the frequency will be ramped down? Also unsure as to the parts that the transistors capacitors and resistors really due other than to provide the correct voltage for the rest of the circuit.

The components can be seen here: http://www.velleman.eu/downloads/0/minikits/manuals/manual_mk151.pdf

Ive attatched a picture of the circuit and the manual were the components can be seen.

Anybody fancy lending a helping hand?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    What does it say on that chip? I expect it has all the magic in it.

3. sykesy10

sykesy10

Mar 21, 2013
    PIC 16c54c-04. Ive looked on the internet and cant find anything about it but thats as its obviously pre programmed

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    It is an old PIC microcontroller, and it is one-time programmable. A PIC16F54 would be a flash programmable replacement.

Bob

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    In all probability the clock is using the AC source as a stable frequency reference.

The uC then does all the dividing etc in software.

Getting a copy of the firmware would be (probably) impossible if this is a commercial product. Getting the source would be even harder.

However if you look around, I'm sure many people have built clocks from microcontrollers.

Oh, it's a kit. There is a *small* chance the source or firmware could be obtained. Have you asked?

Ask a Question