Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Digital fan regulator repair

PrateekK

Mar 8, 2012
I hv a cieling fan with a digital regulator.Even at the top speed it cant blow away a feather,and at the slowest speed you dont even know it's switched on.How can I increase the speed of the fan?Is there any mod by which I will be able to recalibrate the speed?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Is the fan wired correctly to the power?
Is the fan operating at the voltage/frequency it was designed for?
Is the 'digital regulator' programmed, or even used correctly, in this application?
(Was it designed to run a ceiling fan?)
I would guess from what you've said, that something isn't wired or programmed correctly. Take a close look at what you've got, and maybe supply a little more information
about the questions you come up with.

PrateekK

Mar 8, 2012
Is the fan wired correctly to the power?
Is the fan operating at the voltage/frequency it was designed for?
Is the 'digital regulator' programmed, or even used correctly, in this application?
(Was it designed to run a ceiling fan?)
I would guess from what you've said, that something isn't wired or programmed correctly. Take a close look at what you've got, and maybe supply a little more information
about the questions you come up with.
It was just a digital reg(dimmer) I brought off the counter of an electrical store.I dont think theres any programmable unit inside.
And yes it is designed to run a ceiling fan.
I was thinking of some mod as in some pull up or some other amplifier cct ... for recalibrating the speed.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
There are three completely different components that I've found running the circuit in
off the shelf light dimmers (the main circuitry can be run by different primary devices,
not all dimmers are constructed using the same components).
My first thought was that you might have a dimmer that was not designed to work with
the motor in the ceiling fan, that might still be the problem.
Some fans have all kinds of internal circuitry for speed control (and also external
slide switches on the outside of the fan itself to limit speed-make sure you don't
have one of those screwing you up).
What I'm saying is that you might have a controller that was designed to operate a
SPECIFIC MANUFACTURER'S line of ceiling fans, and it's not compatible with the one
you have, ...just one other thing to consider here.
This is one of those problems that we wish we could just look at, and maybe see the
overall situation.
Wish I could be more help, maybe somebody else will respond to your post with
a more helpful idea.
If I was you, this is what I'd do:
1) make sure the fan works normally without the new dimmer controller
2) inspect the wiring carefully when you install the controller to make sure it's correct, and
that you're not bypassing something you need to operate the circuit.
3) if I was sure I had all that done right, I'd look at contacting the mfgr for a recommendation
of what would work for what you want to do, or
4) try a different speed switch.
The counter emf from the fan motor might be interfering with the operation of some solid state device in your dimmer. Maybe you should use a switch that just uses resistors for speed control, instead of a dimmer circuit.
Good luck

Last edited:

rajvanshi0509

Sep 5, 2013
fan speed falls

I hv a cieling fan with a digital regulator.Even at the top speed it cant blow away a feather,and at the slowest speed you dont even know it's switched on.How can I increase the speed of the fan?Is there any mod by which I will be able to recalibrate the speed?

There is a capacitor inside the fan. If it is blown or has a leakage, speed goes away to the point of stop. Try changing this capacitor of the same value, or little more if your fan is old one. Don't enter in to high tech operations.I am sure it will solve your problem. Speed falls drastically always remember capacitor.

Last edited:

elebish

Aug 16, 2013
Motor controller

It was just a digital reg(dimmer) I brought off the counter of an electrical store.I dont think theres any programmable unit inside.
And yes it is designed to run a ceiling fan.
I was thinking of some mod as in some pull up or some other amplifier cct ... for recalibrating the speed.

Motors are inductive and incandescent bulbs are resistive so the dimmers are probably different. Make sure your 'dimmer' is really a motor speed controller! If it NEVER worked, that might be the problem. Ed.

olivecooper

Aug 8, 2013
I think your problem is in the regulator connection. In the regulator, there are two cables in and out of which is joined with the power cable. And I think you wired a connection wrongly. Please check that wire. I think there might be mistaken.

John Steave

Sep 9, 2013
With digital regulator used(connection) correctly perhaps fan operate at the different voltage and frequency.and capacitor may vary blown and speed control.so try to change the capacitor value to eradicate problem by follow http://actpcb.com/capacitor-calculator. Make it strongly should be solved.
Thanks

Last edited: