Connect with us

Digital Clock

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by vick5821, Jul 4, 2012.

1. vick5821

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012
    Hey guys, what IC is used to build a digital clock ? A fixed function IC I mean.
    Plan to get one and build a digital clock.

2. john monks

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
    I don't know what you mean by fixed function.
    Did you consider an MM5314?

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Once, many years ago there was a variant of the 74C926 (which is a straight 4 digit counter) that had divide by 6 and divide by 10 interspersed and seemed useful for this sort of thing.

They're like rocking horse manure now, and I'm not even sure that they would work as a clock (rollover at 12 or 24). I suspect that the cheapness of microprocessors have overtaken them.

I've just taken a look at the MM5314 series of chips suggested by John Monks above. They would have done what you want I suspect -- similar to the ones I mentioned, but dedicated and with all the functions you need. Dunno if you can still get them though. (hahaha, you can. Ebay, $50 plus shipping)

A brief look didn't reveal any modern equivalents. The problem is that "clock" means something else, so searches for that term yield lots of things you don't want.

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    The best search for this is RTC (real-time clock) the DS3234 is what most hobbiest use, but you still need a micro to interpret the serial data it sends out... There are of course many other RTC ICs out there from different manufactures...

If you desire you can also do it all in the firmware of the micro using the built in timer interrupts...

5. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
  6. vick5821

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012
    OMG...better make it using arduino then ><

7. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The device mentioned above has its own 7 segment decoder and inputs to set the time via buttons. It was this that I assumed the OP was after.

The RTC's you mention are the type of common device that crowds out any of these more ancient chips (and any newer ones that might exist). As I also said above, I doubt anything much newer does exist.

8. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    As you suggest they are really being phased out...

Try the NTE2061 or NTE2062 they can be had reasonable, but they time off the mains so that might complicate things...

Ask a Question