Connect with us

Digital circuits

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by vinod chandran, Sep 15, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. vinod chandran

vinod chandran

Jun 21, 2011
    Hi all,
    I am planning to build an FM radio. But i don't want any knobs to tune the radio. Instead of that i want to connect it with a remote control. I know the tuning knob of an FM radio is a variable capacitor. Is there any way to control it with a remote control ?.

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Modern radios use frequency synthesis instead of a variable capacitor to tune. If you are planning to build a retro radio with a variable air capacitor, I supose you could use a servo to turn it.

Bob

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    or you could go the really modern way of a SDR radio ( SDR = Software Defined Radio) these projects are all the rage at the moment. the output of which is connected to your computer and the signal is decoded ( demodulated) with software and audio is heard. I had one here for a while from a fellow amateur friend... quite cool

Dave

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Yeah, all the rage because it's cheap, easy and wide open the dongles for the computer are about $20 and you have a the grand pappy of scanners...

5. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Interesting, I am going to have to look that up!

Bob

6. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I picked up a dongle just have not found much time to tinker with it yet...

Lots of fun to be had there for those that want to tinker and snoop... Do note that it might be illegal for you to listen to some of those frequencies depending on your location, but I won't tell...

7. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    What does the dongle do?

Bob

8. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Here is the basics of it, there is of course many other sites... The dongle is the tuner and USB interface to the PC...

http://rtlsdr.org/

Ask a Question