Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Different soldering techniques

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I was thinking about another kind of joint, the kind where one might wet one's whistle. And no, crystalline solder is not one of my favorite beverages!

Bob

Last edited:

Erling

Oct 2, 2012
... there's no point discussing something when you appear that you are unwilling to listen to good advice and many years of experience

All We all here can do is wish you best of luck with you soldering and just hope that not too many of your joints are dry
Aww, how unflexible(( Yes, I have my opinion about soldering, but that's not obduracy: I've tried both techniques and just want to understand, why some people fiercely prefer one of them (direct applying).

Steve amditted, that with additional flux bringing solder with tip may be OK. But, davenn, now I again hear undisputable allegation about "dry joints".

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
[...]just want to understand, why some people fiercely prefer one of them (direct applying).

quality, reliability, and speed.

Steve amditted, that with additional flux bringing solder with tip may be OK. But, davenn, now I again hear undisputable allegation about "dry joints".

Sure, and it's also probably OK to have a non-temperature controlled soldering iron, or to use 50/50 lead/tin solder, or a whole other bunch of things. OK doesn't mean equally good.

Perhaps you can show us a video demonstrating your technique?

Erling

Oct 2, 2012
Perhaps you can show us a video demonstrating your technique?
I thought about that :) It will take time, but I think I'm going to do that.

Erling

Oct 2, 2012
OK, I was able to make a vid. My camera makes movies in AVCHD, and it took time to convert it into some more widespread format (damned soft caused disorders to video).

Anyway, I hope it's good enough to see the main:
http://videobam.com/CJKsc

And, as video is not very nice, I provide couple of photos to compare the joints (red and black - direct applying, red and red - tip loading):
http://i065.radikal.ru/1210/a3/b63594c7a01f.jpg
http://s018.radikal.ru/i511/1210/ee/55342c97b55c.jpg

If comparing is not fair (for example, if you think I make direct applying wrong), please, just tell me.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
ummm there's no video there
it says video stream not found

OK after reloading the site several times it finally worked

well your video so well demonstrates why the direct way is better as per steve's comments above particularly SPEED !

the direct method took a fraction of the time of a carry method the direct would have been well finished and another joint soldered whilst you were still playing around with putting the flux on the first joint!!

D

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
NOW let me see you do the same for a PCB with masses of joint like the ones I build....

attachment.php

wiping gooey flux all over the place and then messing around again with carrying the solder to the joint is just totally impractical
So so much faster and easier to do the direct method, which AGAIN is why its the STANDARD used :)

Dave

Attachments

• IMGP0557a.jpg
    IMGP0557a.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 173

Erling

Oct 2, 2012
wiping gooey flux all over the place and then messing around again with carrying the solder to the joint is just totally impractical
When I solder PCB, I just cover all the surface with liquid water soluble flux, it takes seconds :) Don't think I use the same flux for all purposes. Actions "take to to the pad + bring the solder to the pad + make joint" won't take more time then "load tip (if solder is set somewhere near) + take solder to the pad + make joint".

When I work with wires, I rarely have to solder wires, twisted like that. More regular is situation when I have to tin stripped wires, then I just stick every wire in the flux, it takes very little time. After that I don't need to degress from soldering itself.

NOW let me see you do the same for a PCB with masses of joint like the ones I build....
Well, looks like I should make a vid about soldering PCB im my way.

At least, I hope, you'll admit that your words about dry joints were hurried, as joint, made by "tip loading" method isn't dry.

P.S. By the way, am I doing direct applying soldering right? ;)