Connect with us

Differences between two diodes?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Inverhyt, Feb 22, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Inverhyt

Inverhyt

Feb 22, 2018
    Hiyo! First time posting on these forums, I'm a newbie with some experience, but I've run into a problem.

On an amp that I'm repairing, there's a diode that's been cracked with the number ST4148 on it. I can find it from Chinese hubs just fine like Shenzen, but I'm a US customer and I only need a few (two, to be exact).

I was wondering if it is interchangeable with the diode 1N4148? What is weird is that Alibaba lists ST4148 as a zener diode while 1n4148 is a switching diode. I couldn't find any information on what is different about ST4148 as I thought the first letters or numbers to the diode, 4148, were just manufactures? Like PH4148 or T4148.

Can anyone help me with this? Or help me find a diode that would work in the place of ST4148 that I can order in the US cheaply?

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Welcome to EP.
    1N4148 has been on the market for many years. The "4148" is almost a generic name. Some vendors even offer ST4148 where you find 1N4148 in the detailed description.
    I would not hesitate to use a 1n4148 as replacement for ST4148.

The decription of the ST4148 as a zener diode is obviously wrong. When you look into the details (on alibaba's website) it states zener diode (wrong) but max. reverse voltage 75 V (right) which incidentally is the reverse voltage of a 1N4148 :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Inverhyt, davenn, Cannonball and 2 others like this.
  3. Cannonball

Cannonball

May 6, 2017
    The 75 reverse voltage means that it isn't a zener diode.

Welcome to EP

Inverhyt likes this.
  4. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    Alibaba, ebay and maybe Amazon are Chinese and maybe have a translation problem or they know nothing about electronics.

Inverhyt likes this.
  5. Inverhyt

Inverhyt

Feb 22, 2018
    Ah, alright. Well thank you. I didn't want to risk accidentally blowing up something so I thought I would check in first.

Thank you for all of your help. I'll be ordering the diode.

Ask a Question