Connect with us

Difference between trim-pot and log pot

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by cyberteen, Mar 16, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. cyberteen

cyberteen

Dec 4, 2011
    Hi,

Can anyone explain me about the difference between trim-pot and log-pot.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    That's like asking the difference between a cat and a catfish.

A trimpot is a potentiometer that is typically adjusted by a screwdriver to set some circuit parameter, but is typically not adjusted once set.

A log pot is a potentiometer with a logarithmic taper. That is the resistance varies logarithmically with rotation of the shaft. These are typically used for volume controls because the human ear has a non0linear sensitivity to changes in the intensity of sound.

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Like *steve* said.
    I think whoever told you those two terms, MEANT a 'trim pot' to be one where the
    resistance across the travel of the wiper to be linear.
    As opposed to a 'taper' or logarithmic resistance used in volume control applications.
    They're both generically called trim-pots.

4. cyberteen

cyberteen

Dec 4, 2011
    Is there by any chance their places are inter changeable, i mean, can i replace a 10k log pot by an 10k trim-pot?

By the way I'm sorry for my silly questions and thanks in advance.

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Only if it's a 10k log trim-pot -- then it's the same thing.

Otherwise you're asking something akin to "can I replace a 3 litre engine with a petrol engine?" -- ok if both are 3 litre petrol engines, but not if one is a 3 litre diesel engine and the other is a 1600cc petrol engine.

trim-pot describes an aspect of the physical nature of the thing (essentially that it doesn't have a shaft that you can fit a knob to. "log" describes how the resistance changes as you rotate the control -- in theory there is no particular relationship between the two.

Having said that, log trimpots are relatively unusual, but not impossible to find

Ask a Question