Connect with us

Difference between TCCR and TCNT

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by dhruvrai23, Aug 21, 2012.

1. dhruvrai23

dhruvrai23

Aug 21, 2012
    Hi
    Can anyone tell me the difference between TCCR and TCNT?
    I am new to electronics, and not very familiar with complex things like this, it would be helpful if the explanation is for a newbie/rookie.
    :)

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    Can you elaborate on where you got those initialisms?

I just googled them and still have no idea what you are referring to, closest I could come was with the TCCR (T Cell Cytokine Receptor) but it sounds more like a biological thing than anything.

3. dhruvrai23

dhruvrai23

Aug 21, 2012
    TCCR - timer counter control register
    TCNT - i guess thats timer and counter

I just graduated from arduino to direct avr programming, and I am not an electronics engineer.
    Also, It would be great if you could elaborate on what registers really are?
    Thanx

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Sounds like the names of registers?

A register is simply a place that a value is stored (or latched)

In some cases it's like a memory location but faster (internal to the CPU), in other cases it's related to hardware status (could be called a port) and may be quite slow to access. They could also be memory mapped but have symbolic names.

5. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    These registers are explained here.
    You need to study the datasheet of the particular AVR. ALso I recommend you have a look at Atmel's application notes for that particular AVR.
    You will come across many more of these "obscure" register names.

Ask a Question