Connect with us

Device powered by computer usb port but not USB phone charger

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by mterry, Jul 9, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mterry

mterry

Jul 9, 2018
    I have a Berringer U-Phoria UM2 audio interface, I use it to amplify a microphone input and split it between a headphone amp and a transmitter. I works fine when the USB cable is plugged into a computer, but fails to work at all when I try to power it from a USB outlet of a phone charger or power strip?
    Any thoughts on how I can make it take power from the non computer USB source?

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

hi welcome to EP :)

I have no idea what that is
    can you please show link(s) photos :)

Dave

3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    This interface is meant to be used as interface from the instrument to a computer. It is likely that the electronics requires connection to a computer to be set-up by the driver.

See e.g. here: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UM2usb--behringer-u-phoria-um2

davenn likes this.
  4. mterry

mterry

Jul 9, 2018
    Thats the device. for my use I don't need the computer connection. It perfectly solves my problem when it is connected to the computed as a power source, without opening any driver or audio program. I guess I need to find a way to fool it into powering on without the input from the PC. adapter plug? or soldering iron attack?

5. BrightLight

BrightLight

Jun 10, 2018
    Check out the usb cable. Does it match to the usb standart? Probably you'd find some trick in it.

6. mterry

mterry

Jul 9, 2018
    I looks like a standard A type on the computer end, and B type on the device end
    i'll have a look at it with my tester and see if the pin arrangement is normal

7. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Check the cable to see if any resistors are connected from either data pin to either supply coltage pin.

davenn likes this.
  8. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    The driver is used without your having to install or activate anything.
    It has to be, otherwise the device wouldn't work on a computer.

davenn likes this.
  9. Jarod997

Jarod997

Aug 4, 2021
    I know this is an old post, but I just did the same thing. I bought a UM2 for a non-computer application not realizing that the device was *only* USB powered. It powers on when plugged into a computer, but not a wall charger.

I have a ticket in with Behringer, but so far no luck.

There may be a voltage divider hack on the D+ and D- pins on the USB line which will make the device power on, but I don't want to hack it yet if I don't have to. The other possibility is that the device will only power on after it receives a data packet from a USB controller (eg a computer).

*lightbulb* I just discovered my VoIP phone has a USB port which must have a controller in it, and it works to power on the UM2. This is pretty strong evidence to support the USB Controller theory of how this thing is powered.

Ask a Question