Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Device Charger (Battery?)

mikeman

May 18, 2010
I have an electronic device that runs on some kind of non removable battery, I do not know what kind, I have a charger for it which plugs in to a regular wall outlet.

The end of the cord that plugs into the device is not a regular piece and I am certain I will not find anything compatable with it,

Is there a device which I can charge, and then use to charge MY device, by means of plugging the two pronged wall piece, into the charger?

I hope I made sense, thank you I am looking for a title of the kind of charger and if possible some links and brands. Thanks again.

Tesla

May 10, 2010
A Battery Backup or Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS)?

mikeman

May 18, 2010
well...

that is what i need, but I need to plug the Two "Prongs" into the charger, so I need a charger that accepts the prongs as does a wall, accepts two pronged plugs? Do I make sense?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No, not really.

A UPS plugs into your mains supply and has its own mains socket.

You plug a device into the UPS socket ant it is powered either by the mains, or when that is off, by the battery.

The battery is charged from the mains once power comes back on again.

mikeman

May 18, 2010
ha!

Yeah they are like riddles, lol. im kind of on a long term brain fart right now and cant explain things..

i need to plug my device in to the pre-charged battery charger, via standard two prong electrical cord, the charger must accept two prongs just as the outlet on the wall accepts two prongs? Does that make sense lol, please help !

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You sound like you want a UPS. Please google for that and then come back and explain why it's not suitable.

mikeman

May 18, 2010
oh wow

wow it just hit me... ok , yes a UPS is what I need, because if my device was a computer, i would plug the computer in to the UPS via two prongs on the power cable, OK,lol, so what I need is a UPS that i could plug two prongs into, BUT it needs to be pocket size, do they make them pocket size where you could plug two prongs in to? thank you!

Tesla

May 10, 2010
No, not pocket-size ... but you could stick it in a backpack.

They get bigger (and heavier) depending on how much power you want to take with you.

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=21

Usually, you charge mobile devices where you live or sleep with AC wall power. By the time it needs to be charged again, so should be around AC power again ... or you are in your vehicle ... so you get a 12 volt "car charger". There are also solutions for planes and boats.

Rarely, do you have to take your electricity with you in a huge battery. Are you in the United States?

Again ... if you tell us what this mystery device is, and exactly what you are trying to do, we could probably be of more help.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
They make them pocket sized if all you want to do is convert 12V from (say) a car battery to 240V depending on how large your pocket is, and how you plan on carrying the battery and charger for it (which may be your vehicle).

Without a battery and the charger for that, you call it an inverter, and here are a stack of them: http://www.nextag.com/car-dc-to-ac-inverter/search-html

edit: I enjoy playing these silly guessing games as much as Tesla does.

If you just came out and said something like: "I want to be able to carry something with me so I can charge my iPod while I am hiking" we would be able to give you sensible answers rather than random guesses.

Last edited: