Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Detection and Spectrography for 3 widely different ranges: Far IR, X-Ray & Gamma

peibol77

Sep 3, 2012
Hiya!
I'm on a project where part of what I need is to detect the emissions in 3 quite different ranges of the whole wavelength spectrum:

1. Far Infrared: 240 μm.
2. X-Ray: 2 nm.
3. Gamma: 2•10^(-20) nm.

The wavelengths of emission may not be 100% precise, so I'd rather have it done with a spectrometer so I can observe the emissions on the surrounding frequencies (wavelengths) for each of the 3 above.

I'm aware I'll probably need 3 different devices to detect such widely differring wavelengths, and that shouldn't be a big problem. The problem is, I can't even find a spectrometer that provides results on analyzing the first range (FIR, 240 microns), and I thought that'd be the easier one to find!! I've found plenty of solid spectrometers that analyze ranges between NIR and Mid IR (200-4000 nm), but none that fits the range I need (240 μm = 240,000 nm and surroundings). :confused:

Can anyone help me here with some ideas on how to tap onto those sections of the whole spectrum?

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

Pablo

wingnut

Aug 9, 2012
Just an idea from a newbie to electronics...

You will probably need a pyroelectric IR sensor such as is used in fire alarms or human detection but you will have to search for one in your wavelength range.

And X-rays expose photographic film, so maybe an ordinary but covered in dark plastic light sensor would pick up X-rays (even a cellphone camera might - just as they pick up IR from say your TV remote).

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Pablo,
Welcome to the Electronics Point Forums :)

And for Gamma radiation then you need a Geiger counter
There some cheap and easy kitsets available for that
I built a Geiger counter kit some years back for use with my radioactive rock and mineral samples It was under US$60 for the kit

Dave

peibol77

Sep 3, 2012
Hi guys, and thanks for your answers!

wingnut: Thanks for the idea, I did find some possible pyroelectric detectors that might work (http://www.scitec.uk.com/infrared_detectors/single_element). The wl range is not adequate, but they say they can fit other filters on request, so it may be a solution... I'm checking with them...

Harald: Thanks! Indeed, they do offer a wide range! I'm now focused on the FIR range, and couldn't find one however (I'll get back to them once I solved this one!)

davenn: Thanks! That sounds pretty affordable, too, for the geiger counter! I'll get back to that once I solved the FIR one...

Anyone who knows of a ready-made detector/sensor/spectrograph (preferably spectrograph!) with a range that fits 240 microns as part of the measured/detected wavelengths, I'd be really thankful to hear about it! Meanwhile, I'll investigate the pointers given above!

Pablo