Connect with us

Detecting spike from DC relay

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Ashish Eapen Alex, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Ashish Eapen Alex

Ashish Eapen Alex

Oct 31, 2014
    I need help in designing a circuit to detect spike from a DC relay

2. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    You need to tell us a LOT more about your project.

3. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    Put your fingers across the relay.

Bluejets, Arouse1973 and KrisBlueNZ like this.
  4. Ashish Eapen Alex

Ashish Eapen Alex

Oct 31, 2014
    I am going to test a 12v or 24v relay, its parameters contact closure and armature closure
    for example a 12v relay i am giving voltage in Ramping way using DAC same time i reading the
    contacts NO. But the problems comes when the armature closure occurs that is some times contact and armature closure occurs simultaneously but it can happen on different voltages also.But when armature closure occurs there is not input, in that case we have to detect spike....

5. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    So you are measuring the characteristics of relays by applying a ramp voltage to the coil and monitoring the NO contacts to see when the armature moves?

And you want to detect the armature moving before the contact state changes?

How about monitoring the coil current. I think the movement of the armature would cause a disturbance to the coil current that you could detect, perhaps using an ADC. I've never tried this so I don't know whether it would work. You would have to try it and see.

Ask a Question