Connect with us

Detecting Leveling of Arm and Shoulder

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Johnny101, Jun 26, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Johnny101

Johnny101

Jul 13, 2014
    Hi guys,

I want to detect the point, during a hand swing motion, when the arm aligns or comes to the level of shoulder like the 1st, 3rd and 5th ones in the figure.
    Could using an accelerometer work? If yes how would I position the sensor as the arm could be rotated in any way about its own axis and not necessarily be like in the figure.
    A design constraint is that I can place sensors on the arm only nothing on the shoulder.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

• img.jpg
      img.jpg
      File size:
      14.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    An accelerometer measures acceleration, not position. It is imho therefore not suitable.

Would you be comfortable using a camera, a PC and some gesture recognition software that you'd have to program yourself based on e.g. the OpenCV library?

3. Amar Dhore

Amar Dhore

Dec 2, 2015
    Gyroscope sensor might do it.

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    I don't think there is a simple solution for this. In particular, one that only requires a device attached to the arm.

Bob

5. Johnny101

Johnny101

Jul 13, 2014
    @BobK Can you suggest any method of doing it?

6. Johnny101

Johnny101

Jul 13, 2014
    @Amar Dhore Can you please tell me the placement of Gyroscope and How will it work?

7. Amar Dhore

Amar Dhore

Dec 2, 2015
Ask a Question