Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Detecting direction of rotation

TarHeelTom

Nov 3, 2014
Got a bunch of rotating parts, and need to do some automatic control work. So need to measure the direction of rotation and the rpm.

First idea is to put a magnet(s) on the sprocket then mount two Hall effect sensors nearby, but close together.

Need some sort of a circuit to determine which HES trip first, which will give me the direction of rotation. Simply counting pulses for a time period will give me the rpm. Don't really care what the specific rpm is, but I'll derive mph from the rpm count.

Think this will all be done on an Arduino board, but not sure.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

TarHeelTom

Nov 3, 2014
That TLE4966L appears to be just the ticket I'm looking for, and Mouser has them in stock.

Thanks, Harald

TarHeelTom

Nov 3, 2014
You can do it with a CD4027, dual JK flip flop.

Maybe so. But this would involve some outside circuitry, such as a pair of HES transistors. I'm not really familiar with flip flops (except the ones in the shower), and have watched a couple of short videos which didn't enlighten me.

On the other hand, the 4966 is a four pin chip, giving me exactly the two outputs I need.

I've been dabbling in electronics all my life, but mostly in fairly simple stuff. Lately I've got more free time, and just bought a scope, which I've wanted for 100 years, it seems like. So now my projects are starting to get a bit more complicated. Thank goodness for the foums.

Tom