Connect with us

Desoldering tempetature

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by The Noof, Jan 25, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. The Noof

The Noof

Apr 20, 2012
    I just bought a used Hakko 472D desoldering station. Never used one before. What is a proper temperature setting for desoldering? And I’ll take any other advice you got.

Thanks,
    Brad

2. John01

John01

Dec 30, 2012
    It will take a little practice and testing with your new equipment, but basically all you need to do is melt the solder enough so that you get as much of it as possible from the joint.
    Iron temperature will depend on the type of solder (leaded/un-leaded) and the thermal mass of adjacent areas, component sizes etc.

For example if you have a joint that is connecting a large ground plane to a large component, the de-soldering gun will require a higher heat settings to account for the
    heat that is being immediately wicked away by the large thermal mass.

For general de-soldering of components just set your gun up to the temperature that the solder starts to melt at, and make a note of the readings on your de-soldering unit
    for future reference. Start at around 320*C and work up to the necessary temp, also remember that if your salvaging components from an unknown board etc, you should take into account that it could be either leaded or lead-free solder, which also effects what temp you will need to melt it.

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Depends on what you're soldering.
    For mil spec work, they tell us not to exceed 620 degrees F.
    (But if you have larger components, you'll find you want to up the temperature so you
    don't have to wait so long for the solder to melt.)

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I find nothing but practice will dictate what works best for you and the techniques you use to remove said part... The short of it there is no single temp I use, I adjust it based on how its working at that moment, based on how I expect or desire it to work for whatever I'm doing... And that temp can vary day by day based on the solder composition, chip size and type, PC board and trace sizes and types and what not... And if you use an assist device like a board pre-warmer everything changes drastically...

I know not much help, but it's the truth...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
Ask a Question