Connect with us

Desktop help.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Reaper_666, Aug 13, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Reaper_666

Reaper_666

Aug 12, 2011
    Hiya everyone, i've been building and fixing computers for 5 years but my mums desktop has me stumped, it's running very slowly but it's not the hard drive, it doesn't need cleaning out it doesn't seem to be any of the software, i'm startng to think it might be the components, it's 5 years old but it's only recently it's started running slow. But what do you lot think, any surggestions or opinions ?

2. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    Hi there
    the machine i am on is 8 years old, so its probably not the components, if the inside is clean of dust and muck especially the CPU heat sink and fan, then up the ram, clean out old junk files, defrag the drive, delete programs not needed or used, Google tips on speeding up my pc, i did a long time ago, my old machine runs sweet as a nut, only cost me £ 50 , oh check and scan for nasty's the usual, if all that fails reinstall the OS, and start from scratch, machines often get cluttered with junk files and massively slows the system.

You said you have been into pc building so i expect you have tried most of, if not all the above.
    Replace the primary drive and instal a fresh OS, beyond that i give up. Dave. PS my old monster is an e machine, 2.5 GHz CPU p4 2gb ram 40 GHz hdd, and a 250 GHz external hdd, and it more than 8 years old, ive another machine, an MSI thats cool and 10 years old, both my OS are XP Home. good luck with it. :)

3. Reaper_666

Reaper_666

Aug 12, 2011
    O_O oops i forgot to check the CPU for dust & muck and i completly forgot about the unused/junk software/files other than that i tried everything else.... i'm a idiot! lol, cheers mate!! :)

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    it may have a few viruses doing weird things in the background
    have you done a virus scan with DECENT antivirus software ?

have you done a defrag ?
    after 8 years files are going to be fragmented all over the drive/s and that will also slow it down considerably

Dave

5. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    Just so you know, I been fixing computers for 15 years as a career.

The slowest computer I ever met was caused by the spool server thinking it had a job to do. Very long story short, if you have ever used or now currently own a lexmark printer, unplug it and take it out back and shoot it with a 12 gauge and never ever buy recommend or give away a lexmark printer. If you ever had lexmark drivers installed, then either sit down for a very daunting task of removing them completely or start over with a fresh install and NEVER install a lexmark printer driver again.

YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WARNED!!!

6. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    You might also want to take a look at powershell by microsoft. It will allow you to get a very more defined view of exactly what is using your resources. It has helped me a time or two to track down an erroneous process sucking the life out of a pc.

7. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    ANother way to track down a potential problem is by elimination. Goto 'Run' and type in "msconfig" and then under the services and startup tabs disable everything. Reboot. Does the problem still exist? Process of elimination :)

edit: for a very thorough virus scan, download a linux variant with a an up to date virus scanner, create a bootable usb with the distro and then run the virus scanner on your windows drive. This will help find those annoying viruses that hide from less then stellar windows versions. I am talking about those scanners that run in user space and not kernel space.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  8. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
  9. Reaper_666

Reaper_666

Aug 12, 2011
    Thank you all for your surggestions :) but i've fixed it now, it was the heatsink, after i was reminded about checking the CPU i went back to my mums desktop opened it up and took off the heatsink and thoroughly checked the CPU but then i took a closer look at the heatsink and found massive clumbs of does in between it which i was surprised about because i cleaned it out thoroughly with some compressed air but i guess not thoroughly enough so i took the heatsink out of it's plastic covering and cleaned out all the clumbs of dust and used a little USB vacume cleaner to get the small dust particles off the sides then proceeded to use it on the plastic covering till both were dust free then i put it all back together and tested it, it now runs alot faster but i will do a file clean up and a defrag aswell :) thank you all again

10. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    RE slow pc

Hi all
    I only run programs i need, my start up has been reconfigured, msconfig.exe so no slow start ups, ive also turned of non essential programs that run in the back ground, all this can speed up your system, some programs are greedy, if there not part of the registry and not essential, disable or uninstall them, another trick to free up disk space is disable system restore, but make sure your system is A1 running condition, this will allow you to delete masses of old restore data, once done activate it again, then create a new restore point, i clawed back 5GB of disk space.

Advice, if you don't know, or understand any of the above then don't do any of these things until you learn and know what your doing, your in control of your pc, not the other way round, well not yet anyway. LOL. Dave. :)

11. jimwill48

jimwill48

Sep 2, 2010
    IT has been my job since the days of punch cards. Windows has a habit of slowly deteriorating it even has a nick name for this called bit rot. I tell my customers that a good plan is a reformat and clean install of the OS once a year to keep things working correctly. A 5 year old OS is most likley in pretty sad shape. Back up your data do a clean install of the OS and you will be surprised.

JW

Ask a Question