Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Deskfan switch failure

Honpho

Jul 23, 2021
Hi, beginner here:
I have Honeywell desk fan model HT-900. The high setting works intermittently when the fan is pointed horizontally, as in it will run on low for awhile then just start spinning on high without touching it. The high setting always works when the fan is picked up and pointed at the floor, but not when pickup up and pointed at the ceiling. The lower settings seem to function normally. Sound familiar, I hope?

I have a soldering iron.

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
Welcome to the forum. The first thing I always do when there is switch trouble is to clean it with contact cleaner. Since this is an appliance connected to the AC line, always unplug it, spray the switch, turn or slide the switch through all of its positions, then wait at least 10 or 15 minutes before plugging it back in. Some cleaners are flammable and you want the switch to dry before using it.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Hi, beginner here:
I have Honeywell desk fan model HT-900. The high setting works intermittently when the fan is pointed horizontally, as in it will run on low for awhile then just start spinning on high without touching it. The high setting always works when the fan is picked up and pointed at the floor, but not when pickup up and pointed at the ceiling. The lower settings seem to function normally. Sound familiar, I hope?

I have a soldering iron.
sounds like a dodgy rotary switch...not much to do except a new switch.
Any attempt to dismantle it would undoubtfully end up with a pile of springs, contacts and other aux bits scattered all over.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'm not familiar with your Honeywell model, but I have a pedestal floor Honeywell model, and will submit this:
My Honeywell is all computer controlled, with touch-activated switches. If yours is similar, you may be looking at
a circuit board issue, and not just a switch fix. Additionally, I wonder about the age of your fan. I have had a few
where the inexpensively-made fan motors themselves deteriorate, the laminations warping, causing the rotor to
drag against stator due to heat warping the laminations.
Unfamiliar with your model, just something else to consider when troubleshooting this issue.